Can LG Ultrafine 4k Display be used with a MacBook Air from 2015?
I have a new LG 4k Display that works fine with my new (USB-C) MacBook Pro. But I'd like to use it with my former MacBook Air from 2015 as well (it only has a mini-display port - no USB-C). So, 2 questions: Can I use them together and if so, what is the adapter that will connect them? Thanks.
- Asked by Jan C from Southport
- Flag as inappropriate (Can LG Ultrafine 4k Display be used with a MacBook Air from 2015?)
1 Answer from the Community
The document HT207447 "Use the LG UltraFine 4K Display with your MacBook or MacBook Pro" say that it requires a Mac with built-in USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports.
The MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) doesn't have Thunderbolt, so it means this display is not a Thunderbolt display. Therefore, I would try a USB-C to mini DisplayPort cable because they're relatively inexpensive. But displayPort won't pass USB signals.
I have read that some people have found that the LG UltraFine 4K will not work without USB. In that case, it is necessary to add a USB-C port that includes both the DisplayPort and USB signals. An externally powered Sunix UPD2018 or Delock 89582 or GC-ALPINE RIDGE can do that, but there's no way to get the USB signals to the MacBook Air. The display will work (show video from the Mac), but you won't be able to use the functions of the display that require USB (audio, camera, brightness control, USB ports).
Unlike the MacBook, a MacBook Pro 2015 has Thunderbolt which can provide a path to the Sunix UPD2018 or Delock 89582. The GC-ALPINE RIDGE doesn't have drivers to enable it's USB functionality in this configuration. Instead of using a card like the Sunix UPD2018 with a Thunderbolt expansion chassis, you could just use the second Thunderbolt 3 port of a Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports (such as a dock, raid, or expansion chassis) to provide USB+DisplayPort signals over USB-C to the LG UltraFine 4K. This requires an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?
- Asked by Matthew G from Denver
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Ad…
Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?
- Asked by Dairien B from Chula Vista
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter