Will this monitor work via a USB-C-to-Displayport Cable?
I'm wondering if I can drive this monitor from a USB-C-to-DisplayPort Cable.
I am looking at the upcoming Thunderbolt 3 docking stations, and all of the products announced only have 2 Thunderbolt-3 ports on them. Most have either HDMI or Displayport ports as well, though. I'm obsessive about cables/mess, and only want to have one connection running into my 2016 MacBook Pro with Touchbar.
My thinking is that I can use a USB-C-to-DisplayPort cable into the monitor from the dock, as the specs show that the Displayport on the dock can do 4K video.
1st, Will this actually work? I'm assuming it will.
2nd, Will all of the Monitor controls still work? I love how this monitor has all the brightness/color setting controlled through system preferences, and I would want this functionality to work as well.
Has anyone tested either of these things?
For reference, I am looking at the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD, and the Henge Docks Tethered Dock for MacBook Pro 2016 (Thunderbolt 3).
- Asked by James F from Rockford
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this monitor work via a USB-C-to-Displayport Cable?)
2 Answers from the Community
I just went through the same thing - and ended up returning the Belkin TB3 Express Dock. I have put my gigabit ethernet adapter and backup hard drive into the USBC ports on the monitor, and then one USB-C from the monitor into my MacBook Pro with Touchbar. I don't think it is quite as fast a network connection as I get when I plug the ethernet adapter directly into the McBP - but nice to have just one cable to disconnect and go.
I originally bought the Belkin TB3 dock to enable use of a lower cost 4k monitor - but then lots of reviews on problems with reawake after sleep, disconnect/reconnect cables to refresh display, etc. Decided to put the $350 from the belkin towards the nicer LG display and let it to the USB-C hubbing for me. Seems to be working out ok.
- Answered by Brad C from Princeton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No, they only work from Thunderbolt 3. So far I've not found a way of daisy chaining them either ( the Apple Genius gave up after 30 mins on google!) so have two cable into the 13" MBP which isn't ideal.
- Answered by Jim D
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can this adapter be used on a PC and Dell monitor?
- Asked by Mark B from Westland
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used on a PC and Dell monitor?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Can the USB-C ports on this be used interchangeably (reversed) and still provide full connectivity to the new Macbook?
- Asked by Brian M from Bayside
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the USB-C ports on this be used interchangeably (reversed) and still provide full connectivity to the new Macbook?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
How to make the USB-C VGA Multipart Adapter work on MacBook 2015
- Asked by Israel P from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (How to make the USB-C VGA Multipart Adapter work on MacBook 2015)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter