Does it support thunderbolt 2?
Would I be able to connect this drive to a Thunderbolt 2 port on my MacBook Pro, or would it only connect to the USB (not usb c) ports?
- Asked by fn from Fairfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support thunderbolt 2?)
2 Answers from the Community
It does support Thunderbolt 2. I just connected it to my 27" imac (late 2013) which has Thunderbolt 2.0 ports, via one of the Thunderbolt ports and it works fine. This appears to be a Thunderbolt 1 device, since the documentation says it supports 10Gb/s. I'm not using Thunderbolt because of the speed, I'm just running out of USB 3.0 ports.
- Answered by Dominic P from Broomfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Use the USB-C port of the LaCie drive with a USB-C to USB-A cable to connect the LaCie drive to your MacBook Pro via USB.
The LaCie drive is only able to transfer 130 MB/s which can easily be handled by USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) so there won't be any performance improvement from using a Thunderbolt connection instead.
To connect the LaCie drive to your MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt, you first need to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports (such as a Thunderbolt 3 dock) to your MacBook Pro using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Then you can connect the LaCie drive to the Thunderbolt 3 device using the Thunderbolt 3 connector of the LaCie drive.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does this product require Thunderbolt 2?
- Asked by Philip B
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this product require Thunderbolt 2?)
- Asked about: Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI …
No answers yet
How many displays does this one Support?
- Asked by Richard A from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate (How many displays does this one Support?)
- Asked about: Blackmagic eGPU Pro