Can I print wirelessly using an HP printer/scanner combo connected to the Airport Express USB port?
- Asked by Stephen R A from Folsom
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I print wirelessly using an HP printer/scanner combo connected to the Airport Express USB port?)
2 Answers from the Community
I don't think you can use the scanner function. Printing is not usually a problem.
I use mine to successfully print on my HP1020 laserjet printer. It even seems to handle the requirement to load firmware to the printer on power up. Scanning requires sending info to the network. While I do not know whether this is the actual limitation I have read that scanners won't work on this port.
- Answered by Paul K from Washington
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes. The USB port on airport express and air port extreme will serve either a network printer and/or a network drive. I use mine for a shared drive across the network. It is compatible with all three windows machines and 2 macs. Before I bought a wireless printer I used the USB on my airport extreme to serve the printer I had at the time.
Just make sure the drivers for your printer/scanner are installed on all of the machines on your network.
Once you enter setup information on the express, create or join existing network, you have to identify whatever is plugged into the USB port. Just name it whatever you want. Then you can password protect it if you want. Mine is just open. But then search for the device on each machine and install it as the default printer. Then everyone on your network is sharing the same device.
The directions that come with the airport express give examples of most every possible configuration you may encounter. Very user friendly.
Highly recommended. Best routers on the market for PnP.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can you connect a printer to the airport extreme to allow air printing/wireless printing from other devices such as a macbook or mobile device?
- Asked by George G from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you connect a printer to the airport extreme to allow air printing/wireless printing from other devices such as a macbook or mobile device?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can this be used to connect an Airport express (USB) to a wireless music router (Ethernet)?
- Asked by Leslie C from Traverse City
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect an Airport express (USB) to a wireless music router (Ethernet)?)
- Asked about: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter