Is this Thunderbolt 3?
- Asked by Josephine L from New York
- Flag as inappropriate Is this Thunderbolt 3?
1 Answer from the Community
No, it's Thunderbolt 2. In order to use it with a Thunderbolt 3 port, you'd need a Thunderbolt-3-to-Thunderbolt-2 adapter. There's one on the store... search for "Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" As unwieldy (and expensive) as chaining two adapters together may seem, at the time of this writing, it's probably the most reliable way to have a highly-portable, high-performance, reliable Ethernet connection. Any other USB-C dongle-style adapter available today will add its Ethernet port via the Type-C port's USB 3 channel, not the Thunderbolt channel. This makes the adapter much more prone to issues with reliability, driver compatibility, heat, and CPU usage. If something less portable is an option for you, I'd recommend using a Thunderbolt 3 dock to add an Ethernet port, since it would use the Thunderbolt channel, giving you better reliability and performance. I've used one by CalDigit with no issues, and Apple sells one by Belkin here on the store... search for "Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD"
- Answered by Matthew J from Dublin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
does this work for a Thunderbolt 3?
- Asked by Julia B from Macomb
- Flag as inappropriate does this work for a Thunderbolt 3?
mac pro to thunderbolt 3 display
- Asked by Mark H from Port Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate mac pro to thunderbolt 3 display
Is this compatible with Thunderbolt 3 cable/port
- Asked by Mary O from Boxford
- Flag as inappropriate Is this compatible with Thunderbolt 3 cable/port
No answers yet