Use iMac late 2009 as a second display connected to iMac late 2014
Not sure if possible, is it possible to use my iMac Late 2009 as a second display for the iMac late 2014 build.
The old iMac has a Mini display port and the new iMac has only thunderbolt connections?
I am confused after reading apples FAQ's
Appreciate any help, thank you
- Asked by fn from Eastbourne
- Flag as inappropriate (Use iMac late 2009 as a second display connected to iMac late 2014)
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, the iMac late 2009 supports Target Display Mode (TDM)
Cable Supported: Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort
Port on Source Computer: Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt ports are backwards compatible, meaning they support MiniDisplay Port cables. Your iMac 2009 with MiniDisplay Port does not support Thunderbolt. So you will need a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable; this would then be plugged into Mini DisplayPort in 2009 iMac and Thunderbolt port on 2014 iMac.
Command F2 on the 2009 iMac would put this computer into TDM, with the 2014 iMac as the source computer.
- Answered by Michael R from Golden
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Actually contrary to the 2 previous answers, the late 2009 21.5" iMac does not support TDM. I have attempted to make this work with computers that I own and it does not support. The closest thing you can do is use finder to locate shared computers. There is an option to screen share. This is just a mirrored display and not an extended display so if both computers are in the same room it really serves no purpose.
The only iMacs that support TDM are shown here:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
iMac (Mid 2011-Mid 2014)
- Answered by Jason O from Mansfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I want to use an Apple Cinema display (2010) as a second monitor to my iMAC (late 2009). Is this the right adapter?
- Asked by H M C S
- Flag as inappropriate (I want to use an Apple Cinema display (2010) as a second monitor to my iMAC (late 2009). Is this the right adapter?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…