Backing up multiple computers, does time machine need same total capacity as joint disk space? Or if not that much data is 2TB version ok?
We have a 2TB and a 1TB iMac plus a 500GB MacBook Pro that I'd like to set this up as a backup for. We don't have anywhere near that amount of data, but I know when I've had dedicated USB external hard drives for Time Machine it was supposed to have the same volume as the machine's hard drive. Trying to see if we can get away with the 2TB version for financial reasons...
1 Answer from the Community
There is no easy answer. The short answer is, yes, it will pair with these devices for backups. However, the time range and number of backups will be limited as you accumulate more data. You will be able to use it, however, it will become unpractical as each of you computers hard drives fills up. I wouldn't recommend sharing it between more than 2 computers with large drives like yours.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
How do I use this with AirPort wifi and Time Machine?
- Asked by John H from East Liverpool
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I use this with AirPort wifi and Time Machine?)
- Asked about: PROMISE Pegasus3 R4 12TB (4 by 3TB)…
will this free up disk space on my computer?
- Asked by Janice L from Scituate
- Flag as inappropriate (will this free up disk space on my computer?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE Mobile Thu…
No answers yet
how much time to charge an apple pencil
- Asked by David C from San Juan
- Flag as inappropriate (how much time to charge an apple pencil)
- Asked about: Apple Pencil Tips - 4 pack