What is life expectancy?
Some competitors advertise that their hard disk will keep photos for a 100 years, how long will the AirPort Time Capsule keep my precious photos?
- Asked by Lise T from Alexandria
- Flag as inappropriate (What is life expectancy?)
2 Answers from the Community
No hard drive will last for 100 years. It is probably flash memory that you are seeing that quoted on, but that will come in much smaller capacities (typically 8GB-64GB) and a much higher cost-per-gigabyte than the Time Capsule, and of course, do not include a fairly high end wireless router.
Hard drives have an average lifespan of approximately 5 years, but there are plenty of outliers, with some lasting 10 years and some only 10 minutes. And of course, the Time Capsule also contains a wireless router, which in itself will probably only last 3-5 years of continuous usage. That is why the recommendation for backups is always to have multiple backups, and preferably, to have at least one backup "offsite" (that is, not in the same physical location as your other backups), as the odds of multiple backups failing simultaneously is vanishingly small.
- Answered by Andrew R from Victoria
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I had my 500GB N time capsule since 2008 and it just now started losing wifi connection. I think it may be due to moving into a bigger house from an apartment. But it any case it has lasted 8 years like a champ. Very pleased with it and ready for the 5th gen, only hope a new one isnt released a month after i purchase one.
- Answered by C.j. R from Fayetteville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
How long is the lifespan of the AirPods expected to be?
- Asked by Ole V
- Flag as inappropriate (How long is the lifespan of the AirPods expected to be?)
- Asked about: AirPods
Does it come with the corresponding USB-C to USB-C cable?
- Asked by Federico L from Doral
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it come with the corresponding USB-C to USB-C cable?)
- Asked about: 61W USB‑C Power Adapter