What is the best way to do the initial back up with these devices? What is the average time to do the first initial backup?
How do others do the initial backup? How long does it take to do it wirelessly? I would have hoped for a Thunderbolt port for this very use case.
5 Answers from the Community
For an initial backup, the best results will come from a direct connection via Ethernet.
First turn off wifi on the computer.
Attach the computer via Ethernet to one of the free Ethernet ports.
Set up your Time Machine appropriately and set it running.
Leave it overnight to complete, best to do this end of the day.
You may have to leave it, depending on the size of the internal drive on the Mac, sometime into the next day.
- Answered by Tommy W
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The fastest way for the first time machine back up is with an ethernet cable to this device or USB for an external hard drive.
It might take time (1 hour up to 5 hours), it depends of the storage.
- Answered by Halil D
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
The best way to do the initial back-up is having the Apple Mac hardwired (ethernet) to the TimeCapsule. My initial back-up was projected to be 65 hours wirelessly for the earlier version of Time Capsule (1.5Gb disk) and a scant 35 minutes hardwired.
- Answered by Douglas R from Davie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
it took approx 10 hours to wirelessly xfr ~99 GB (primarily music and pics) from MBP to ATP.
- Answered by Geri R from Long Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
It really depends on the amount of data there is to backup. You will get the fastest backup performance while wired to ethernet. I've always suggested a wired initial backup, once that is done wireless will be no issue. Most initial backups I have ran, I have started at night and it was finished in the morning.
- Answered by Alan B from Des Moines
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
My initial network is in my house and have a detached metal shop about 100 yards away. what is the best wireless setup to jump that distance?
- Asked by Clifford B from Polo
- Flag as inappropriate (My initial network is in my house and have a detached metal shop about 100 yards away. what is the best wireless setup to jump that distance?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
What is the best way to connect a retina macbook with a new 2TB time capsule? USB/ethernet adaptor does not transfer data.
- Asked by Chris H from Marmong Point
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the best way to connect a retina macbook with a new 2TB time capsule? USB/ethernet adaptor does not transfer data.)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…