Could I use this adapter to connect iPad Pro 2018 with a belkin TB2 dock? And to drive a monitor with hdmi of the dock?
Port of my device:
IPad Pro 2018: USB-C
Belkin thunderbolt2 dock: thunderbolt2, hdmi, USB-A, Ethernet, Aux.
I am doing fine with my macbookpro 2013 with thunderbolt2 to the dock. good for monitor, keyboard, earphone and Ethernet internet.
May I replace my macbookpro by iPad pro 2018 to keep all the functions fine?
Thank you guys very much.
1 Answer from the Community
No, the iPad Pro 2018 does not have a Thunderbolt 3 port. You cannot connect a Thunderbolt dock to a USB-C port that does not support Thunderbolt unless the Thunderbolt dock uses the new Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller. The Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Dock uses an old Falcon Ridge Thunderbolt 2 controller.
The USB-C port of the iPad Pro 2018 supports USB 3.1 gen 2 and DisplayPort 1.4 but not Thunderbolt, so you will want to find a USB-C dock that supports USB 3.1 gen 2 and DisplayPort 1.4.
The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 can be connected to either a Thunderbolt 3 port or a USB-C port because it uses the new Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller. You'll need to add a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter for your display, and a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter for your MacBook Pro 2013.
Most Thunderbolt 3 docks use the older Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller which cannot be connected to a USB-C port that does not support Thunderbolt. If the dock supports DisplayPort 1.4, then you can be sure that it uses the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller.
You could settle for a USB-C dock that supports USB 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI. You can connect a USB-C dock to a Thunderbolt 2 Mac using a Thunderbolt 3 device or dock that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports - the USB-C dock would connect to the second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Thunderbolt 3 device.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will this dock work if I keep my 2019 MacBook Pro closed while using an external monitor connected to the dock?
- Asked by David F from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this dock work if I keep my 2019 MacBook Pro closed while using an external monitor connected to the dock?)
- Asked about: CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock
Can the lightning to HDMI adapter be plugged into the back of this to serve as a dock for iphone to hdmi?
- Asked by Hayden C from Rock Hill
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the lightning to HDMI adapter be plugged into the back of this to serve as a dock for iphone to hdmi?)
- Asked about: iPhone Lightning Dock - White
I see this allows for 2 HDMI monitors, can these monitors be independent or are they mirrored only?
- Asked by Erin N from Auburn
- Flag as inappropriate (I see this allows for 2 HDMI monitors, can these monitors be independent or are they mirrored only?)
- Asked about: CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock