Thunderbolt 2 port to connect to an external drive which is Type C based
Dear Professional, I just bought a Samsung T5 external SSD it is a USB type C based port. I am using mac book pro early 2015 version which only provided with thunderbolt 2. I would like to connect and transfer data with high speed, so I wish to use the thunderbolt 2 port on my Mac to the external hard drive which is USB type c based. Is that any solution for it?
- Asked by Lim W from New Taipei City
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt 2 port to connect to an external drive which is Type C based)
1 Answer from the Community
The Samsung T5 SSD has a USB 3.1 gen 2 USB-C port (up to 10 Gb/s) and the description says the drive can do about 540 MB/s.
The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is only for Thunderbolt devices, so you cannot use it to directly connect the Samsung T5 SSD (which uses USB, not Thunderbolt).
The MacBook Pro 2015 has USB 3.0 ports supporting up to 5 Gb/s which should allow something like 450 MB/s. If that speed is good enough, then you can simply use the USB-A to USB-C cable that is included with the Samsung T5.
Otherwise, the only way to get USB 3.1 gen 2 for the MacBook Pro 2015 is to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device that has two Thunderbolt 3 ports using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. USB 3.1 gen 2 requires macOS Sierra or later.
I don't believe that any currently existing Thunderbolt 3 device supports USB 3.1 gen 2 except through one of their two Thunderbolt 3 ports. This means that the USB-C hard drive needs to be the last device in the Thunderbolt 3 chain.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have an external monitor that uses displayport ... can I drive the display from a 2017 iMac using one of the USB 3.1 type A ports?
- Asked by Paul R from Clevedon
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an external monitor that uses displayport ... can I drive the display from a 2017 iMac using one of the USB 3.1 type A ports?)
- Asked about: Mac
can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
- Asked by Mujahid M from Upland
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…