Similar questions from the community
What is the difference between the new Airport Express and the current Airport Extreme? They look the same except for the number of LAN ports.
DM Zone on Airport Express LAN port ?
Does the new LAN port on the new Airport Express supports DM Zone feature?
- Asked by Shu Chee T
- Flag as inappropriate (DM Zone on Airport Express LAN port ?)
Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?
Can the new (June 11 2012) AirPort Express Base Station extend an existing network by connecting an ethernet cable from an AirPort Extreme to the Express's WAN port, thereby making the Express both a wireless access point and also an ethernet port via its LAN part?
- Asked by Bruce V from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?)
difference between airport extreme and airport express
- Asked by Barry G from Newport Beach
- Flag as inappropriate (difference between airport extreme and airport express)
Can I receive an Internet connection from the Ethernet ports of an AirPort Express if the Express is extending an Extreme's WiFi signal wirelessly?
AirPort Extreme (WiFi) --> AirPort Express (repeater mode) --> ethernet cable (WAN/LAN)--> iMac
- Asked by Gladstone P from Phoenixville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I receive an Internet connection from the Ethernet ports of an AirPort Express if the Express is extending an Extreme's WiFi signal wirelessly?)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
This new airport express, isn't this what my Time Capsule already does and if different, how so? Thanks
New Air Port Express vs. Time Capsule
is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV
I want to bring the iTunes library to my stereo, and googling on this there were a number of posts that suggested that Airport Extreme had better decoding for CD quality audio then did the AppleTV. All the iTunes files are of course digital, and I am intending to use the optical output of either the Airport Express or AppleTV.
To really hear a difference I would need to do an A/B test of one against the other - which I do not intend to do, but I do have a very high end system so when things are not as they should be there is no hiding it.
I don't need the AppleTV right now for the theater setting - so video streaming ability would be on hold there, for now but likely added sometime in the next year or so.
It's really a matter of which device is going to be better for delivering the iTunes music library to the stereo system. Why there would be a different between the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV is not clear to me. The limiting source would seem to be the bit rate of the files in iTunes - but perhaps I am missing something. Perhaps there is a difference in DA converters - though that too would seem strange, but with the use of the Digital Optical Out I would think that there should be no difference.
But certainly better to know about it before I buy the device and get it set up - appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
- Asked by Dan R from Superior
- Flag as inappropriate (is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV)
Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme
- Asked by Nicolas S from Plymouth
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the new airport express to extend (bridge) my airport extreme)
Can I use Airport Express as an AP?
I have a Netscreen as firewall, connected to Internet, and I'd like to extend its LAN ports to wireless.
- Asked by 晓斌 刘 from Shanghai
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express as an AP?)
No answers yet
If I currently am using the previous version airport express to extend my network with the newest airport extreme is this a worth while upgrade?
If I currently am using the previous version airport express to extend my network with the newest airport extreme will i see any imporvment to my connections in anyway if I upgrade to this new one? speed wise or distance wise perhaps? Or is it not worth upgrading?
- Asked by Andrew Y from Staten Island
- Flag as inappropriate (If I currently am using the previous version airport express to extend my network with the newest airport extreme is this a worth while upgrade?)
airport express multi amp/speaker/system
I want to just extend my wireless system. I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE AIRPLAY OPTION.
So can I use say Pandora, Tunein etc. and select my wireless instead of Airplay and send the same thing to both my express units? (2) That way I can play to my stereo/ amp /speaker/ volume controlled in two places at the same time. I am not sure my question is clear since I seem to be getting different replays.
I currently have the 1st gen. express and play into my amp vis a cable. I see that amp port is still on the new gen. so I was in hope this can be done.
- Asked by Gary S from Lake Oswego
- Flag as inappropriate (airport express multi amp/speaker/system)
No answers yet
can I replace my old airport base station (from 7 years ago) with an airport express?
the new airport express looks like it could be a replacement for it from the specs, but I'm not sure what the difference between the two airport models are.
- Asked by Piangporn J from Pearl River
- Flag as inappropriate (can I replace my old airport base station (from 7 years ago) with an airport express?)
Is this different from the 2 Airport Express units I already have that plug right into the wall to extend my Airport Extreme's wifi signal?
The two that I already have plug right into the wall & work great (and are out of sight). This new one seems like it needs to be plugged in with a cord. The cord is a problem, I was planning on putting one in every room, but cords all over the place would present a domestic issue.
- Asked by Dale F from Huntington Beach
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this different from the 2 Airport Express units I already have that plug right into the wall to extend my Airport Extreme's wifi signal?)
Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?
I have a cable modem with a single Ethernet port, which can be used to connect it to either a computer or a WiFi router, such as the AirPort Express. Thus if the modem is connected to a wireless router and an Ethernet connection to a computer is also desired, the latter must be connected to the Ethernet LAN port on the wireless router, which passes through the Ethernet WAN connection from the modem. I want to be able to turn off the wireless router when I don't need WiFi, but still have the computer connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Some wireless routers pass the connection from their Ethernet WAN port (connection from a modem) through to the Ethernet LAN port even when the device is itself not running. Is this true of the AirPort Express?
Are Canon printers supported by the new Airport Express?
The CAPT and UFR2 drivers for Mac OS X require bidirectional communication with the printer. That is, as well as sending data to the printer, they expect data to be sent back.
Unless the new Airport Express is different to its predecessors, the USB port on the Airport does not support bidirectional communication and this stops the UFR2 and CAPT driver from working.
Is the new Airport Express compatible with those drivers?
- Asked by Marco T from Castel Gandolfo
- Flag as inappropriate (Are Canon printers supported by the new Airport Express?)
2 new airport express, 1 avr, 1 stereo receiver
Can i make this configuration?
1. First Airport express connected to my dlink router via wan port.
2. Second airport express extending the First Express wifi network without ethernet cable.
3. Connect at the second airport express my denon receiver through it´s LAN port so i can manage my receiver with it´s own app.
4. Connect the first airport express with a stereo cable to a stereo receiver to airplay.
- Asked by Francisco M from Norden
- Flag as inappropriate (2 new airport express, 1 avr, 1 stereo receiver)
No answers yet
Is the wireless bridging feature available for this new Airport Port Express between Airport Extreme? For bridging both 2.4G and 5G channel?