Questions & Answers for LaCie 2TB Rugged Thunderbolt + USB-C Portable Hard Drive
4 Questions + 4 Answers
4 Questions from the Community
Does it support thunderbolt 2?
Would I be able to connect this drive to a Thunderbolt 2 port on my MacBook Pro, or would it only connect to the USB (not usb c) ports?
- Asked by Henry A from Fairfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support thunderbolt 2?)
The LaCie drive (STFS2000800) uses Thunderbolt 1. It can connect directly to a Mac that has Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2 ports (same shape as Mini DisplayPort). Or you can use the USB-C port of the LaCie drive with a USB-C to USB-A cable to connect the LaCie drive to your MacBook Pro via USB 3.0.
The LaCie drive (STFS2000800) is only able to transfer 130 MB/s which can easily be handled by USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) so there won't be any performance improvement from using a Thunderbolt connection instead. If you replace the spinning HD with an SSD then a Thunderbolt connection will be slightly better (510 MB/s) than USB 3.0 (400 MB/s?). Other LaCie Rugged drives (not this STFS2000800) may support Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1 gen 2.
To connect the LaCie drive (STFS2000800) using Thunderbolt 1 to a Mac that has Thunderbolt 3 ports, you can try using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. However, this might not supply enough power. If that's true, then connect a Thunderbolt 2 device that has two Thunderbolt 2 ports (such as a Thunderbolt 2 dock) to the Mac using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Then you can connect the LaCie drive to the Thunderbolt 2 device using the Thunderbolt connector of the LaCie drive.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support thunderbolt 2?)
is the built-in thunderbolt cable of the USB-C variety? only finding pictures of this drive with the thunderbolt-2 style built-in cable, but not sure
Can I install Mojave on this drive and boot from it?
- Asked by Hamed R from Colarado
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I install Mojave on this drive and boot from it?)
Will this be compatible with with USB-B?
- Asked by Daniel C from Saline
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this be compatible with with USB-B?)
No, however it does come with a usb-c to A connector so it can connect to any USB port.
- Answered by Dan C from North Branford
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this be compatible with with USB-B?)