Questions & Answers for Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
416 Questions from the Community
Can I transfer photos from my MAC to the ipad?
- Asked by Richard M from Bala Cynwyd
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I transfer photos from my MAC to the ipad?)
Is connection kit iPad air compatible
Considering purchasing the apple iPad camera connection kit if it is compatible with my iPad air 32 GB WiFi tablet
- Asked by Kimberly R from Fort Jones
- Flag as inappropriate (Is connection kit iPad air compatible)
Only when you pair it with the lightning adapter. It gets a bit scary plugging in the adapter, then the camera kit card reader. It needs to be carefully supported when in use.
- Answered by Greg B from Templeton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is connection kit iPad air compatible)
can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots
im a photographer and im looking to buy an ipad and camera connection kit to take on location shoots as replacement to my laptop.
when i finish photographing i back up the images taking them off the camera and straight onto a laptop..from there i'll take the images onto my mac as soon as im back at my machine..
the files are raw files and very large - taken from canon mark 5d ii ........ what is data transfer speed like? on 4gb amount of data, is it compatible with raw files and any photographer out there using it on there photoshoots? -what do you think
- Asked by Anonymous A
- Flag as inappropriate (can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots)
I hasten to add that I won't have my ipad and connection kit for just under 2 weeks but as a fellow UK photographer here is how I'm thinking just now.
1) For a 5d I'm assuming you are using UDMA CF cards. That means to connect you will use a direct connection via the USB adapter.
2) It is known that USB headphone/microphone set can be successfully connected to the USB adapter, as can a USB keyboard.
3) It is known that the USB adapter won't recognise external drives, only cameras. It might be that all external drives tested were USB bus powered and it might work with an external powered drive, we'll have to see.
4) It is known that while you can copy images and videos from the SD card reader to the iPad, you can't copy them from the iPad to the SD card reader.
5) It is known that the iPad shows reasonable images with Canon and Nikon raw files but terrible images with Leica DNG files which hold much smaller previews. This indicates that the iPad is not really reading the raw file but the jpeg previews inside the file package. Leica users are getting round that issue by shooting DNG+Jpeg and then the iPad works on the jpeg instead of the DNG file.
As such, right now, I think the answer is that you will still need the laptop for in-field editing unless you restrict your workflow to jpegs. However I'd expect that the demand for a fully raw capable iPad app will be high from photographers and if it doesn't appear in the form of an app with this itteration of the iPad, I'd think it will with a more powerfull 2nd generation iPad.
- Answered by Anonymous A
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can ipad/ipad camera connection kit be a good alternative to using a laptop on photoshoots)
How well does this work with the canon 5d 21mpix camera ?
Does iPad handle the very large 21 mpix images from the canon 5d well ? Also can I view them on the iPad and eventually copy the raw images to my Mac .. This is RAW images not jpeg ....
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (How well does this work with the canon 5d 21mpix camera ?)
I have a 7D, but I believe my answer still applies (18vs 21 megapixels is close in size)
What it does:
-The iPad imports RAW, RAW+Jpeg, and Jpeg files just fine.
- It displays high res thumbnails of the images for viewing on the iPad
- It pops up like a USB drive while plugged in to a computer to retrieve the imported files.
- It groups together RAW+ Jpeg files into one stacked file so you don't have to swipe through duplicates of the same image.
What it doesn't do:
- Display full 100% res on the iPad screen. On zooming in the picture will eventually get fuzzy.
- I believe the resolution of the preview on the iPad screen of imported images is capped. You can zoom in and I believe this resolution is higher than the iPads screen, but it it definitely not close to the 5000px+ image sizes of the 5D and 7D.
-I believe the preview looks slightly higher res by shooting Raw + small Jpeg, as I believe the Thumbnail that the iPad is reading for the RAW image is much lower res than the small jpeg's resolution.
- Answered by Alan C from Venice
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How well does this work with the canon 5d 21mpix camera ?)
Can you use this connector to connect a class compliant USB audio interface to the IPAD?
Pro Audio I/O connection
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you use this connector to connect a class compliant USB audio interface to the IPAD?)
Well I just bought the camera adapter kit and found that it does not work as a portal for a USB audio interface. For one the Apogee One draws too much current for the Ipad, and even when I powered the interface from a powered USB hub the iPad did not utilize the apogees mic or headphone Jack.
This configuration may be possible but Apple would have to develop it and I won't hold my breath as Professional Musicians make up a small part of their demographic.
- Answered by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you use this connector to connect a class compliant USB audio interface to the IPAD?)
Yes. When you connect your device to the ipad the photos app opens and you upload them by either copy and paste or going through the options menu and pressing a button that will say something like 'UPLOAD'.
- Answered by Arian P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i upload pictures to the web without importing and storing on the ipad first?)
Can this be used to connect a Weight Watcher active link
The active link Is a Philips mechanism that measures physical activity. It series # isdl8715
- Asked by Susan C from Kill Devil Hills
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect a Weight Watcher active link)
This is the critical question for photographers hoping to use the iPad to backup pictures when they are in the field and prior to getting back to their computers. No one appears to know and Apple has not stated it will import pictures without resizing (read dramatically reducing photo size/resolution) it to optimize viewing on the iPad. We know the iPhone resizes pictures and the iPad is using the same OS, so I am not hopeful full resolution will be maintained.
- Answered by Aditya R from Livingston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (When the pictures are imported, are they optimized (ie. reduced in size) or imported in full size?)
It should. Card readers work the same as importing through a camera. It's only sending information out from the card and into the iPad. As long as the card reader is self-powered; that is: not relying on the USB adapter for power.
- Answered by Kurt Rusheen T from Shaker Heights
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I have an xD card for Olympus (not SD), will the USB adapter work with an xD card reader?)
Is there software for displaying histograms of raw files on the iPad? Can the iPad be used to control copy from camera to other hard driv
Can the iPad be used as a backup controller, i.e. from camera to backup drive? and view photograph's histogram?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there software for displaying histograms of raw files on the iPad? Can the iPad be used to control copy from camera to other hard driv)
Can I use Logitech ClearChat USB Headset with the Camera Connection kit?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Logitech ClearChat USB Headset with the Camera Connection kit?)
Does this allow two way transfer TO as well as FROM a USB device?
My real world example: import from my Flip HD camera to the iPad purely as a transitional temporary storage so I can clear the camera down and carry on with it, and either there and then, or later, transfer from the iPad to another device, whether the laptop or (while travelling) more likely a USB Pendrive, with a DCIM folder created to put it in.
- Asked by Anonymous A
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this allow two way transfer TO as well as FROM a USB device?)
Will the Ipad camera connection kit work with a SONY dsc HX1
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the Ipad camera connection kit work with a SONY dsc HX1)
Are you able to connect a broadband usb device into the connection kit and receive 3G signal if you don't have a 3G model or don't want to use ATT?
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (Are you able to connect a broadband usb device into the connection kit and receive 3G signal if you don't have a 3G model or don't want to use ATT?)
No you can not do this with out an app
sd card only
- Answered by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i plug in a sony memory stick pro duo card or is it sd card only)
We need to transfer video footage from our Sony Hard disk drive Handy cam, DCR-SR32, onto our i pad for storage and viewing. Is this possible ?
No answers yet
Can I use my Ipad Air facetime camera with autocue app at the same time?
I have been doing some 'talking head' type videos using one ipad to film and another for the autocue... the lack of eye contact with the camera makes this arrangement less than ideal.
Is it possible to use the Facetime camera and an autocue app (I've been using 'proprompter') so that it can all be done on the same machine? I realise the quality of the FT camera may not be as good as the one of the other side.
- Asked by Martin H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my Ipad Air facetime camera with autocue app at the same time?)