Questions & Answers for Apple Composite AV Cable
526 Questions from the Community
All of the Apple portable devices output an analog signal rather than a digital signal. To get the best quality sound, you should turn the volume all the way up on the iPhone (or iPad, iPod, etc.), and adjust the listening volume using the stereo. In general, sound quality will be limited by the type of file - MP3 and other compressed formats will limit fidelity. Thus, for playing via a stereo I suggest storing Apple Lossless versions of your music on a computer running iTunes. If you want 'audiophile' grade sound, you should add an external digital to analog converter with a computer interface (like USB) rather than use the circuits built into the portable device.
- Answered by Frank W from Minneapolis
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's the best way to connect Iphone to home stereo and maintain digital sound quality?)
Can I watch Eurosport Player on my TV from my iPad?
I've got the Eurosport Player app on my iPad 2 and before buying the Apple Composite AV Cable, would like to know if I will be able to watch Eurosport programmes from my iPad on my TV. Thanks.
- Asked by Janet S
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I watch Eurosport Player on my TV from my iPad?)
Yes it works, and it looks good.
Skygo on the other hand does not work.
- Answered by Mark A
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I watch Eurosport Player on my TV from my iPad?)
What is the difference between component av cable and composite av cable
- Asked by Yong Won K from Orangeburg
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between component av cable and composite av cable)
The Composite AV has 3 connections to your TV - the combined video signal and audio left and right. The Component AV cable has 3 connectors for video (separated into Red, Blue and Green signals to produce a better picture) and the left and right audio connectors.
Most older TVs that have AV inputs will have a set of composite inputs as will as some HDTVs, but typically only HDTVs have the Component inputs. Check your TVs inputs to see what you need. If the input on the TV has only 3 connectors (yellow, white and red) it is composite and if there are 5 connectors in the input grouping together you need the component cable.
- Answered by Brian B from Montgomery
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between component av cable and composite av cable)
They are two analogue video formats, but composite connection puts all the video down one connector which is more convenient but less quality. Pretty much all TV's have these, if your TV has a SCART then a simple adapter will also allow you to play it back.
Component cable have higher quality by splitting the video into three parts (mistaken for Red, Blue and Green it is really Luminance, Contrast and Hue). This is the better quality but generally only modern HD sets have them and even then most opt to use the digital HDMI.
Both carry audio over a Left and Right cable which can be plugged into a receiver if you choose.
In short if you have component on your set go for that, but if you wish to use this with other TV's or systems, it is a 99/100 chance going to support Composite. Check your TV!
- Answered by Nicholas J from Westhumble
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what is the difference between av composite and av component cable?)
Can you play Facebook videos on your TV using Composite AV Cable Thanks
- Asked by Skye S from Wongawallan
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you play Facebook videos on your TV using Composite AV Cable Thanks)
all the cables do is mirror your device that your are using. so the answer will be yes as long as you can play videos on your device you will be able to see videos on your tv
- Answered by Rene B from San Antonio
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you play Facebook videos on your TV using Composite AV Cable Thanks)
Can I hook iPad to tv and see Skype on the tv
- Asked by Tim B from Scarborough
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I hook iPad to tv and see Skype on the tv)
Is there a cable or connector that will connect the av output from my Sony Handycam camcorder to the input USB socket of my iMac?
I simply want my iMac to accept video from my Sony Handycam. The Handycam came with a dock that features a USB output but it is not recognised by my iMac. So I'm thinking of connecting the mini av output on the Handycam itself directly to the USB input on the iMac.Answer
According to sony, both on their site and through customer support chat, the sony handycam camcorder DCR-DVD firmware is NOT compatible with Macs and they do NOT provide andy drivers to that end.
I am emailing upper management
- Answered by Beverly M from Sterling
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there a cable or connector that will connect the av output from my Sony Handycam camcorder to the input USB socket of my iMac?)
I have a new Toyota AyGo which has a MirrorLink display. I'm told you need to use the Appincar. Where do I get the special cable?
I have an iPhone 5s so it must work with the lightning connector. I think the cable connects the phone to both the USB and aux in sockets.
I have the Appincar app but I need the cable as wellBest Answer:
Unfortunately, MirrorLink is only compatible with the Iphone 4 and 4S.
Trying to get it working with anything newer, is just going to leave you with hours of frustration.
Best option is to email Pioneer and Toyota to complain.
Yes, it is. The TV must have an available A/V Input (with female RCA jacks).
Just plug the adapter cable in and set the TV "Source" to that input. If your iPod or iPhone is set up correctly, you simply play your video and it is sent out to the TV.
- Answered by Christopher M from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the cable compatible to connect to a CRT (tube) television. Other words not being a flat screen television)
Is it possible to access BBC iPlayer and Youtube via the iPad to view on a Panasonic TV by connecting the Composite AV Cable
You won't be able to use the Composite or Component AV cable to watch TV on your iPad.
The both the component and composite cable can be used to watch movies from your iPhone, iPod or iPad on a TV with matching inputs, but they will not go in the opposite direction.
You might try using your PC or MAC TV tuner (such as an Elgato EyeTV) and converting the video onto an iPad viewable format and transferring it to your iPad via iTunes, or purchase or rent the show directly from iTunes directly from your iPad.
I hope this helps.
- Answered by James H from North Bondi
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use the component av cable to connect my ipad to my tv and watch live tv on my ipad)
Does it work with iOS 6?
I've heard of complaints of the HDMI adapter not working for videos streamed through HBO go and other similar apps after iOS 6 update. I was curious if similar instances pertained to the component adapter. I am only interested in it to stream Netflix through my iPod 4g with iOS 6. Am I going to have problems???
- Asked by Jeremy M from Eustace
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it work with iOS 6?)
It is not working for me with iOS 6 on iPhone 4. I thought it might be a bad cable, so I tried on my wife's iPhone 4 running iOS 5... it worked like a charm for her. It also worked on my mother-in-law's iPhone 3G (iOS 4 or 5, I'm not sure). Hopefully they'll get it worked out soon; I bought it so the kids could see movies and YouTube clips on the DVD screen in the van.
- Answered by Jeff M from Kinston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it work with iOS 6?)
Can you watch movies from the netflix app and stream them to your tv?
- Asked by Madison B from Wildwood
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you watch movies from the netflix app and stream them to your tv?)
YES you can connect the AV COMPONENT CABLES to any ipad, iphone or ipod touch & then to your tv. but as far as i know once you hook up the cables you will only be able to see the video on one device at a time... i hope this answers your questions.
- Answered by Timothy B from Oxford
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you watch movies from the netflix app and stream them to your tv?)
How can I connect my macbook pro to my tv or projector? What cable or adapters would I need?
- Asked by Sharon B from Mesquite
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I connect my macbook pro to my tv or projector? What cable or adapters would I need?)
will the volume control on the iPod work with the audio out?
Using an Apple composite AV cable to my home stereo, will the volume control on the iPod control the output to the stereo? Or is the output from the iPod a fixed volume? Using a Nano 5th generation. If I upgrade to a Nano 7th gen, and use the adaptor, will this effect the volume control?
- Asked by Christian W from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate (will the volume control on the iPod work with the audio out?)
No it will not. You will have to control volume level from your amplifier or receiver
- Answered by John Martin V from Muntinlupa
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will the volume control on the iPod work with the audio out?)
Can I watch my iPhone 5 videos on my tv?
- Asked by Miguel F from Santa Paula
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I watch my iPhone 5 videos on my tv?)
Not through this cable, I agree with the previous person, unless you purchase the HDMI cable, that works, but this cable does not show video if you have updated to IOS 6
- Answered by Jerald B from Raytown
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I watch my iPhone 5 videos on my tv?)
With this cable connector, would I be able to stream Netflix movies from my iPad Mini?
I would obviously buy the lightening to 30pin adapter to connect the cable. What I want to do is just watch Netflix with my iPad but see it on the tv, or play games and see it on the tv. Thanks!
- Asked by Raffi G from Burbank
- Flag as inappropriate (With this cable connector, would I be able to stream Netflix movies from my iPad Mini?)
Yes. I use it to watch Netflix on my hotel TVs all of the time.
- Answered by Chuck H from Scotch Plains
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (With this cable connector, would I be able to stream Netflix movies from my iPad Mini?)
is there a av cable with the lightning connector
I have a new ipad and would like to get a av cable to watch movies on my tv. the only cables i see is a thirty pin and an adaptor for the lightning. is there a av cable with the lightning connector or do i have to spend another thirty dollars to get the adaptor from thirty pin to the lightning
- Asked by John O from Coxsackie
- Flag as inappropriate (is there a av cable with the lightning connector)
I have the same problem - I have iPhone5 and iPod touch 5th gen and I want to watch iTunes music videos and other movies on my car dvd player (for the kids etc) and my dvd player only has AV inputs. I was told by Apple that the only video out cable for these devices is HDMI, they don't support AV.
Don't bother with the 30 pin to lightening adaptor to connect to the Composite AV cable. It only outputs audio (I've tried it). I got Apple TV for watching on my home TV - very good!
- Answered by Sue J
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is there a av cable with the lightning connector)