Questions & Answers for Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter
113 Questions from the Community
Will this work with an iPod (touch wheel), which has an FireWire 400 port, connected via this particular adapter and an adapter FireWire 800 to 400?Answer
Yes. You will need this thunderbolt to FW 800 adapter and a FW 800 to 400 adapter.
Yes, I use it with my MacBook Pro running SL 10.6.8. Works fine.
- Answered by Curtis L from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Has anyone been able to use this with Snow Leopard?)
Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?
I have a G-Tech Thunderbolt External HD which is connected via Thunderbolt to my iMac. Can I use an Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain from my G-Tech to a WD external FW 800 HD?
- Asked by Robert P from San Anselmo
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to daisy chain a FW 800 External HD to a Thunderbolt External HD?)
Maybe 5-6 inches. It's just an adapter, you'll need a FireWire Cable to reach your device.
- Answered by John S from Notre Dame
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How long is it?)
Hi Nancy. This adapter has a 50/50 success rate correctly powering Bus Powered Firewire drives. Your drives are probably perfectly fine. It's most likely the adapter causing the issue. If your bus powered external portal drive has a power source, try finding a power adapter to power it and then connect it via this adapter to see if your results change. I have more Firewire Drives than I do Thunderbolt drives so this adapter is something I keep in my back pocket at all times. Hope this helps.
- Answered by Ellsworth R from North Hollywood
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Im using it to connect my exteral hardrive, but it wont work. Is it the adapter?)
do multiple TB-FW adapters create multiple FW busses?
I have a question concerning the use of multiple thunderbolt to firewire adapters. If I plug two of these into an iMac, and then a drive to each adapter, would those devices present themselves to the computer as being on two different firewire busses, or one unified firewire bus?
Some people on here have commented on how they have multiple drives daisy-chained to one adapter, that is not what I am asking about, as in that kind of situation you can easily saturate a single firewire buss.
My purpose here is to use Universal Audio's Satellite UAD product (firewire) in addition to a firewire audio interface. the Satellite prefers to be the sole device on a FW chain for best performance, so what I would like to do is use one adapter for a satellite, and one for a firewire audio interface, and have the two operate independently on their own busses.
Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone tried it?
- Asked by Henry R from Chandler
- Flag as inappropriate (do multiple TB-FW adapters create multiple FW busses?)
Highly unlikely as it can't power my external G-TECH drive.
Time to upgrade to the Duet 2 to be safe...
- Answered by Chris B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this adaptor allow me to connect the Apogee Duet (1st gen) to my Mac?)
I have 7 currently. The max is 63.
- Answered by Calvin H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How many FW800 devices can be daisy chained up at the same time?)
Yes, it should be able to boot.
- Answered by Vinay P from Beaverton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can a Mac (e.g. Macbook Pro Retina) boot from an external FW drive connected via Thunderbolt-FW adapter? Thanks :-))
Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Digidesign Digi 03 console which uses (male) firewire 1394-800
Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Avid Digidesign Digi 03 console (pro tools )which uses (male) firewire IEEE 1394-800
or is there a adapter I must purchase also and if so please could you name the adapter or give it's manufacturer so I can look it up.
What is the name of this firewire connector it doesn't look like 9 pin 6 pin or 4 pin ( 800- 600- 400) I need to know to buy an adapter to connect to my
- Asked by Melchi J from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter connect to my Digidesign Digi 03 console which uses (male) firewire 1394-800)
I'm reiterating a question asked by several others. Does anyone know if the opposite adapter is available ie: firewire mac to thunder external drive?Answer
Their can be no adapter for what your asking because somewhere in the mix you have to have a Intel main board with a Thunderbolt port.
I use it with mine, so yes you can. Be wary of the bad connection with the adaptor though, it falls out with the slightest movement.
- Answered by Ashley E
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this cable with my sapphire pro40)
will this adaptor allow an older Mac Pro early 2009 to work with a thunderbolt display?
old to new
- Asked by Roger O from Moreno Valley
- Flag as inappropriate (will this adaptor allow an older Mac Pro early 2009 to work with a thunderbolt display?)
Will this work with the new Macbook Pro thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) ports?
- Asked by Jonathan S from Astoria
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with the new Macbook Pro thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) ports?)
Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?
I have a faulty hard drive in my Mac book pro and need to recover data from it before swapping hard drives. I cannot perform a backup because I cannot get on the laptop. I don't have another Mac available but have an iPad air. Is it possible to use a FireWire adapter to make the iPad air a host and the Mac book pro the target to recover data from?
- Asked by Patrick S from Pacific Grove
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a FireWire adapter to link a Mac book Pro and an iPad air?)
how do i connect macbook to thunderbolt lacie external drive
i have a lacie external drive connected to my mac pro. i now have the new 12" macbook and i want to connect this to the lace drive to download files. is it possible ? what cable / downloads do i need ?
- Asked by Simon B
- Flag as inappropriate (how do i connect macbook to thunderbolt lacie external drive)
"firewire to thunderbolt" adapter?
So how do I connect a Thunderbolt drive to a Firewire port?
- Asked by Edmund B F from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate ("firewire to thunderbolt" adapter?)
Can I use this device to download data from an old digital camera with a FireWire port to a new PC laptop with a thunderbolt port?
I have an old CANON GL2 digital video camera which has a Firewire port used to down load video. I have a new PC laptop computer that came with a thunderbolt port but no firewire port so I now have no way to download my videos to my computer for editing. Can I download video from the camera to the new PC laptop using the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter?
Thank you very much.Best Answer:
The thunderbolt adapter is for FireWire 800.
If you have FireWire 400 (the original), then you might be able to use the Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-Pin/6-Pin Cable (2 m/6.6 ft.) which is available from Apple.
- Answered by Donald H from Fayetteville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this device to download data from an old digital camera with a FireWire port to a new PC laptop with a thunderbolt port?)
can a mac mini 2015 work with a project mix fire wire 1394a.. ilink
can a mac mini thunderbolt drive work with a m-audio project mix 1394a [ilink] through an adapter .......thanks
- Asked by Horace M
- Flag as inappropriate (can a mac mini 2015 work with a project mix fire wire 1394a.. ilink)