Questions & Answers for Apple USB SuperDrive
516 Questions from the Community
Can the super drive be used to rip DVDs with family videos
I have DVDs with family videos on it and I also have a DVD ripping software. Can I use the SuperDrive in order to covert the videos to my MacBook Pro with Retina Display?
- Asked by Nicolas S from Mount Vernon
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the super drive be used to rip DVDs with family videos)
short and sweet - yes.
longer version - put the cd in the drive, iTunes will recognise it and probably start to play it (depending on your settings). Stop it playing, choose 'import' and bob's you uncle... You will have the cd imported in the format of your choice into your iTunes library.
- Answered by Chris H
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does superdrive when connected to iMac enable CD's to be converted to mp3's)
Can the USB superdrive write DVD-ram?
- Asked by George D from Titusville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the USB superdrive write DVD-ram?)
Apple Superdrive question With Parallels Desktop 8
I am planning on getting one of the new iMac's early next year.
Now, the new iMac's do not have an optical drive (like the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro Retina Display). I'm planning on getting the Apple Superdrive and also I'm going to be purchasing Windows 7 and Parallels Desktop 8 to install on my iMac.
I know it isn't possible to try it with the new iMac's yet, but I was wondering if anyone has tried or knows if its possible to use the Apple Superdrive with the Macbook Air Macbook Pro Retina Display when running Windows 7 through Parallels Desktop 8, basically does the Apple Superdrive show up in Windows 7 and are you able to read, burn CD's, DVD's in Windows 7 with the Apple Superdrive?
Thanks in advance.
- Asked by David T
- Flag as inappropriate (Apple Superdrive question With Parallels Desktop 8)
is the superdrive compatible with windows
- Asked by Henry D from Albuquerque
- Flag as inappropriate (is the superdrive compatible with windows)
Can Verbatim 16x DVD-R be used in superdrive?
The Verbatim package cautions against using in a 1x or 2x speed burner. Are they safe to use in the Superdrive?
- Asked by Fletcher S from Ivins
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Verbatim 16x DVD-R be used in superdrive?)
Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv
Im thinking of buying the apple tv, could i put the usb superdive into my apple tv so i can watch dvds????
- Asked by Emma Ffion A
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv)
No but with Apple TV,you can mirror from your computer screen to your TV
- Answered by William G. A from East York
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv)
music/audio cd on superdrive
planning to purchase the superdrive. can it burn audio cd's? and what program do i use to burn my mp3s to audio cd's? itunes sufficient?
- Asked by Edward Jonathan C from Pattaya
- Flag as inappropriate (music/audio cd on superdrive)
Yes, it can burn all types of CDs and DVDs (not sure about DVD-RAMs, but those are not very much used anyway). You can use iTunes' internal burning facility or a third party software, like Roxio's Toast Titanium
- Answered by Ciprian L from Manchester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (music/audio cd on superdrive)
can you put a sims cd in it?
i just bought a imac and i just relize that you cant put a cd in it. if i buy this would i be able to play sims on my iMac?
- Asked by Huguette H from Fredericton
- Flag as inappropriate (can you put a sims cd in it?)
Yes. That will work just fine.
- Answered by Russ M from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you put a sims cd in it?)
It will only work for MacBook Air, Pro with Retina Display or Mac mini.
- Answered by Matthew C from Highland Park
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it work with iPad?)
what speed does it write at
- Asked by J D from Leeds
- Flag as inappropriate (what speed does it write at)
Apple Chat says "read - 24x & write 6x".
- Answered by David B from Bellevue
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (what speed does it write at)
You have a few options, depending on your comfort level.
First, simple option: Connect the superdrive to your mac. Insert the CD/DVD that you have your photos on, then open iPhoto/Photos app. Click File > Import and select the drive with your photos. The photo app will copy all of your photos to its database. This may take a few minutes, depending on how many photos you are importing.
Once the import is finished, connect your USB storage device. (You can disconnect the superdrive now, the photos are on your mac)
Next you're going to do the opposite of the first step - export your photos from iPhoto/Photos. Click File > Export, then select the photos that you want to move to the external storage device. For the export location, select your storage device from the list, and then OK. The photos will be exported to your external storage.
Another way to transfer the photos is to manually manage the media. To do this, connect the superdrive, insert the disc with the photos, then in a different usb port insert your usb storage device. Next, open Finder. Select the Superdrive and then select all of the photos you want to move. Drag and drop these files onto the USB storage device in Finder, and the files will be copied over.
Another option is to use the built in Image Capture application from your mac, you can search for instructions on how to do that on Google.
- Answered by William S from Cotati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the best way to import photos from a USB super drive to a Macbook Air and then to a USB storage device?)
USB Super Drive won't accept disc. It is hooked up to a new MAC MINI running mavericks. Takes it in spits it out. Help?
- Asked by Franklin C from Glen Haven
- Flag as inappropriate (USB Super Drive won't accept disc. It is hooked up to a new MAC MINI running mavericks. Takes it in spits it out. Help?)
can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad
My aunt sent me a dvd full of pictures from my grandmothers funeral. We have an IMac, so i'm guessing the superdrive is the best option for getting info from a disc to the computer. Can I use the superdrive to play movies on our IPad? Because saving the movies takes up way too much space.
- Asked by Steven L from Haines City
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad)
No. And you can't use the Photo Connection Kit's USB for this purpose, either. But you can convert those video files to an iTunes-friendly format (such as MP4) and then load them onto your iPad from iTunes. The app Handbrake is designed to convert movies to iPhone- and iPad-friendly formats. It takes a little time and effort, but it does make movies portable, and they are much smaller in size for storage.
- Answered by Patricia E C from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad)
Does this device have a Product Product Guide or Manual?
- Asked by Rose O from Memphis
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this device have a Product Product Guide or Manual?)
which apple Drive suport Blu-Ray format
- Asked by Shahriar Z from Ny
- Flag as inappropriate (which apple Drive suport Blu-Ray format)
Macs do not Natively support Blu-Ray. You would need to buy and external Blu-Ray drive and install Blu-Ray software from the internet
- Answered by Jake M from Gettysburg
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (which apple Drive suport Blu-Ray format)