Questions & Answers for Apple USB SuperDrive
552 Questions from the Community
how to copy files to the USB Superdrive
- Asked by Paul M from Torrance
- Flag as inappropriate (how to copy files to the USB Superdrive)
You have a few options, depending on your comfort level.
First, simple option: Connect the superdrive to your mac. Insert the CD/DVD that you have your photos on, then open iPhoto/Photos app. Click File > Import and select the drive with your photos. The photo app will copy all of your photos to its database. This may take a few minutes, depending on how many photos you are importing.
Once the import is finished, connect your USB storage device. (You can disconnect the superdrive now, the photos are on your mac)
Next you're going to do the opposite of the first step - export your photos from iPhoto/Photos. Click File > Export, then select the photos that you want to move to the external storage device. For the export location, select your storage device from the list, and then OK. The photos will be exported to your external storage.
Another way to transfer the photos is to manually manage the media. To do this, connect the superdrive, insert the disc with the photos, then in a different usb port insert your usb storage device. Next, open Finder. Select the Superdrive and then select all of the photos you want to move. Drag and drop these files onto the USB storage device in Finder, and the files will be copied over.
Another option is to use the built in Image Capture application from your mac, you can search for instructions on how to do that on Google.
- Answered by William S from Cotati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the best way to import photos from a USB super drive to a Macbook Air and then to a USB storage device?)
Dont bother buying it as it will not work. You need to have the internal one fixed or replaced.
- Answered by Ken M from Stkilda
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Bought a USB SuperDrive as the one built-in in my MacBook Pro not working. But MacBook Pro does not recognise it?)
can i install games from the superdrive?
i want to buy the super drive because i had bought a iMac thinking it had a cd-rom drive but it doesn't... so I'm thinking that this would fix my problem... will it let me install games?
- Asked by Miguel O from Richmond
- Flag as inappropriate (can i install games from the superdrive?)
The SuperDrive will allow you to install any Mac game that comes on a CD or DVD.
- Answered by Robert D S from Joliet
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i install games from the superdrive?)
will it work on the desktop computers
will it work with the apple super drive external usb double layer dvd /cd drives on the desktop computers or the ipod touch
- Asked by Lisa S from Clearfield
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work on the desktop computers)
The Apple USB Superdrive works on all modern Macintosh computers. However, it does not operate on Apple mobile devices.
- Answered by Marcus N from Saint Augustine
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (will it work on the desktop computers)
Is the super drive compatible with imac
- Asked by Everard A from Jamaica
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the super drive compatible with imac)
The only iMac that it is compatible to is the iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Late 2012).
- Answered by Michel C from Lake Mary
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the super drive compatible with imac)
Does the super drive read Bluray ?
- Asked by Filipe N
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the super drive read Bluray ?)
No, not currently.
- Answered by Devon L from Madison
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the super drive read Bluray ?)
Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv
Im thinking of buying the apple tv, could i put the usb superdive into my apple tv so i can watch dvds????
- Asked by Emma Ffion A
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv)
No but with Apple TV,you can mirror from your computer screen to your TV
- Answered by William G. A from East York
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the usb superdrive dvd and cd connect to my apple tv)
Does it work with the macbook 12 inch 2016
- Asked by William R from Narberth
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it work with the macbook 12 inch 2016)
Yes, I have successfully used this drive with my 2016 MacBook. You will need a USB to USB-C converter, however, as this drive is USB. Its worth mentioning I was successful using an Apple HDMI Multi Adaptor, I wouldn't be able to say with 100% certainty that this would work with other non Apple brand adapters.
- Answered by James M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it work with the macbook 12 inch 2016)
It only plays the regular CD audio side not the enhanced SACD Layer of music.
- Answered by M M from Santa Maria
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can it play sacd)
what region of DVDs can I play on this external drive? Is there a specific one? or can we set up once we put in a whatever region DVD?Best Answer:
You can play what ever region you want but you can only change it 5 times.
can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad
My aunt sent me a dvd full of pictures from my grandmothers funeral. We have an IMac, so i'm guessing the superdrive is the best option for getting info from a disc to the computer. Can I use the superdrive to play movies on our IPad? Because saving the movies takes up way too much space.
- Asked by Steven L from Haines City
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad)
No. And you can't use the Photo Connection Kit's USB for this purpose, either. But you can convert those video files to an iTunes-friendly format (such as MP4) and then load them onto your iPad from iTunes. The app Handbrake is designed to convert movies to iPhone- and iPad-friendly formats. It takes a little time and effort, but it does make movies portable, and they are much smaller in size for storage.
- Answered by Patricia E C from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad)
music/audio cd on superdrive
planning to purchase the superdrive. can it burn audio cd's? and what program do i use to burn my mp3s to audio cd's? itunes sufficient?
- Asked by Edward Jonathan C from Pattaya
- Flag as inappropriate (music/audio cd on superdrive)
Yes, it can burn all types of CDs and DVDs (not sure about DVD-RAMs, but those are not very much used anyway). You can use iTunes' internal burning facility or a third party software, like Roxio's Toast Titanium
- Answered by Ciprian L from Manchester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (music/audio cd on superdrive)
Is the USB SuperDrive compatible with MacBook 4,1? My MacBook no longer reads CD's, I'm looking for an option other than buying a new MAC.
- Asked by Sonja B from Glens Falls
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the USB SuperDrive compatible with MacBook 4,1? My MacBook no longer reads CD's, I'm looking for an option other than buying a new MAC.)
I would not advise against using this on its side, there could be issues with the disk spinning and perhaps the mechanism been unable to provide the stability it needs whilst spinning.
I have my USB Super Drive on the foot/base of the stand on my new iMac and its a really good place for it I find, its within very easy reach, also it doesn't look out of place either.
How do I get a dvd played on the USB SuperDrive into Itunes
- Asked by Isabelle N from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I get a dvd played on the USB SuperDrive into Itunes)
Where can I get a CD/DVD burning software? That is compatible with my New iMAC. I can't find it.
I purchased the external hard drive recommended for my new iMAC. Not knowing that iDVD and any burning software was not going to be in it. I normally burn CD/DVD to for photos and/or video of kids playing sports I pass out to the parents.
- Asked by Miguel S from Jacksonville
- Flag as inappropriate (Where can I get a CD/DVD burning software? That is compatible with my New iMAC. I can't find it.)
In August, I purchased a MACbook Pro. I also didn't know that it didn't burn DVD's. So I bought the third party software named Roxio Toast 11 Titanium. I just burned my first iMovie on a DVD using the Apple USB Superdrive. It isn't HD yet. Haven't gotten that far yet. Came out OK anyways.
- Answered by Irene A from Corpus Christi
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Where can I get a CD/DVD burning software? That is compatible with my New iMAC. I can't find it.)
Can Verbatim 16x DVD-R be used in superdrive?
The Verbatim package cautions against using in a 1x or 2x speed burner. Are they safe to use in the Superdrive?
- Asked by Fletcher S from Ivins
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Verbatim 16x DVD-R be used in superdrive?)