Questions & Answers for Apple 12W USB Power Adapter
185 Questions from the Community
What wattage USB Power adaptor is needed for ipod nano first generation
I purchased a 12W USP Power Adapter. Will it work for my first generation iPod Nano?
- Asked by Carol L from Poway
- Flag as inappropriate (What wattage USB Power adaptor is needed for ipod nano first generation)
My charger stopped working. Was it because when plugged into an extension cord it always felt hot? Is an extension cord compatible with this charger
When using an extension cord, the charger would get very warm.
- Asked by Tanya J from Midlothian
- Flag as inappropriate (My charger stopped working. Was it because when plugged into an extension cord it always felt hot? Is an extension cord compatible with this charger)
The (over) heating of your charger when on a extension cord may be caused by thermal insulation from the surface that the charger is resting on or under during operation. If it is resting on a hard, cool surface, the charger can dissipate heat into moving air (convection) and into the cool surface (conduction) at about the same rate as the charger produces it, and it doesn't overheat.
If the charger/adapter is plugged into a strip or wall outlet, it will have maximum surface area in air and can cool by air moving past (convection).
A problem can arise if, because of the location the charger/adapter that extension cord will allow, the charger is resting on a thick carpet or an upholstered surface or bed, or worst of all, covered under a pillow, blanket, or other fabric. Now, convective or conductive heat loss (or both) will be reduced and the charger can get very hot reducing its useful life, and if completely insulated, risking a fire.
The extension cord rated for the input of the charger isn't the problem, but the extension allowing improper location of the charger itself, is.
Hi, does Apple provide a iPad charger with 15W of capacity?
- Asked by Shruti P from Nashik
- Flag as inappropriate (Hi, does Apple provide a iPad charger with 15W of capacity?)
can i charge apple watch with iphone charger
- Asked by Marina S
- Flag as inappropriate (can i charge apple watch with iphone charger)