Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
576 Questions from the Community
How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2
Is there a way to access photos from my 3T Apple airport time capsule using my iPad Air 2?
- Asked by Ramesh P from Bartlett
- Flag as inappropriate (How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2)
Yes, I do this with my Time Capsule, just download an app onto your iPad called 'FileExplorer' and you'll be able to access and play/view save any file which is saved on your capsule. There are 2 versions of the app - i use the free one which will allow you to access most files but you may wish to go for the paid version.
hope this helps you
- Answered by Aaron B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2)
Extending a wifi-network with TC
I have an Airport Express and am buying an Airport Time Capsule, can I connect the Time Capsule to the modem as my main router, and then put the Express upstairs to extend the WiFi range and not have it physically connected to the modem or the Airport Time Capsule - just plugged in somewhere? Thanks
- Asked by Marla R from Essex
- Flag as inappropriate (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
Yes, It's perfect for that. I've used two Express units, one as the base and main wireless router and turned the second into an extender. Very easy to do, I set aside an hour for the task, I was done in about five minutes. You just have to have the two devices next to each other for pairing, then unplug your extender and move it to another location within range of the base unit. Be mindful these devices communicate with each other via radio waves, if there is a brick wall or other dense barrier (multiple walls) between, you can loose signal strength. Sometimes it takes a little time to get the best position. Hope that helps.
- Answered by Matt G from Crockett
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
difference between time machine and time capsule
- Asked by Natashia B from Bombala
- Flag as inappropriate (difference between time machine and time capsule)
Time Machine is a software program you can use to backup your mac to an external hard drive.
Airport Time Capsule is a physical device that you plug in at your home/office & it offers fully automated backup for computers on your Wi-FI network. The Time Capsule is also a fully featured Airport Extreme base Station that provides simultaneous dual-band wireless networking using the 802.11ac specification.
- Answered by Mike M from Towson
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (difference between time machine and time capsule)
Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.
Hi All ,
I own a 250gb HD Macbook Pro , Apple Airport Express & Apple TV (including iPhone 5 and 6 and iPad 2). I love the peace of mind watching my iTunes Library via apple TV.
My MacBook Pro is full and want to know if i can store files on the Time Capsule (Movies/Music) and access via apple TV... In a nutshell , can i play movie files from the Time Capsule. Because this will free up a lot of space on my hard drive.
I Also have Phillips Hue which is amazing.
- Asked by Samuel L from Clare
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
I'm not sure if you can play from the Time Capsule but you can keep your iTunes library on the Time Capsule and you'll still have access to it with all you Apple IOS devices, including your AppleTV. So, if there's a movie you want to watch and don't want to stream it you can access from iTunes and download it onto your Mac/iPad/iPhone, etc and screen share it with your Apple TV. Alternatively, your iTunes library should be accessible from your Apple TV. I know all my movies show up automatically on mine. I've never checked the music library but I doubt it's a problem.
If you want to store your library on your Time Capsule, copy your iTunes folder from your Mac onto your TimeCapsule. Once you've done that you can have Time Capsule be the default home for your library by going into iTunes preferences/Advanced and change the location of your iTunes library to iTunes/iTunes Media folder on your Time Capsule.
Hope that helps
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I Play Media VIA Time Capsule (Movies/Music) instead of storing on MacBook Pro.)
Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?
My house is wired with ethernet jacks everywhere but my Xfinity router/cable modem combo isn't strong enough. I would like to know if I can set up the Time Capsule as a Wireless Access Point for the current network. As a separate question, I would also like to know how to set up the Time Capsule as a separate Wifi network in the house (new name/password) using the Airport Time Capsule. How do I do that as well?
- Asked by Jeffrey W from Los Altos
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?)
New TC support multicast ? (not in bridged mode)
I have a TC from 2 years ago and was working wonderfully as a replacement plugged into my OpenReach Fibre Modem.
However I picked up YoviewTV recently and the TC I have does not support Multicast (only in bridge mode), so had to revert to my basic PlusNet provided router, subsequently losing up to 10mb on speed.
Does this new TC support multicast ?
- Asked by Roly A from Thatcham
- Flag as inappropriate (New TC support multicast ? (not in bridged mode))
using flash router + vpn with time capsule, what is best set-up for proper through fair when connecting FR to Lan port? Any tweaks?
Can ports be changed that it uses? Can I give it more bandwidth for better flow?
- Asked by Joseph E K from Owensboro
- Flag as inappropriate (using flash router + vpn with time capsule, what is best set-up for proper through fair when connecting FR to Lan port? Any tweaks?)
No answers yet
Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?
I have an iMac with a 1TB fusion Drive and a Macbook Air with a 128GB SSD. I want to use the Time Capsule to back up my iMac and i want to use an external drive connected to the time capsule to back up my macbook air using time machine.
- Asked by Corin G
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
Yes, Time Machine now allows multiple hard drives and time capsules.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
is it safe to browse with open wifi using the airport time capsule?
- Asked by Carol R from Alburgh
- Flag as inappropriate (is it safe to browse with open wifi using the airport time capsule?)
can you pair 2 computers and an iphone with this?
- Asked by Nora H from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (can you pair 2 computers and an iphone with this?)
Do you mean connect all three devices to the network? If so, yes. I have my Macbook, iPhone, Apple TV, android tablet, and another Windows PC all connected to my Capsule. All my Mac devices are all able to AirPlay to each other with no issues.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can you pair 2 computers and an iphone with this?)
Can you set up the AirPort Time Capsule to automatically back up photos, videos, files, etc. from multiple sources, i.e. MacBook, iPhone, iPad, etc?
My family is mostly an apple family, with a few iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, plus a couple pcs, but want to be able to store everything in one local place, but not have to manually add the new items every time we want to back it up. Does the Capsule have an auto backup feature in addition to the time capsule thing for the macs that works with the iPhones and iPads?
- Asked by Andrew S from Fayetteville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you set up the AirPort Time Capsule to automatically back up photos, videos, files, etc. from multiple sources, i.e. MacBook, iPhone, iPad, etc?)
No, it doesn't have apps for iPhone/Ipad.
The AirPort Extreme and AirPort in the Time Capsule make independent wifi networks in your house or office. No monthly fee for the wifi.
If you connect either of these to an ethernet cable leading to a cable modem or a DSLR modem then you'll no doubt have a monthly fee for internet access.
- Answered by Richard W from Warren
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Airport Time Capsule an independent wifi network or will I have to pay a monthly fee?)
Only benefit I would see would be the ability to extend your wireless network range. The Airport Time Capsule includes an internal hard drive that you can use to back up your mac computers.
- Answered by Abdul W from Sugar Land
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Are there benefits to having both an AirPort Extreme and an Airport Time Capsule?)
Yes you always need an external hard drive! iCloud/iTunes Match does NOT back up your uploaded music you've imported into iTunes (CDs...). It only backs up iTunes music that's available in the iTunes store available in your country. Be advised, your "purchased" iTunes music is NOT yours to own, but yours to manage. Back it up so you can always import it again in the future if that music has been deleted from the iTunes store. Happens too frequently. I found this out the hard way. I say have a plan, then have a back up plan.
- Answered by Graham S from Columbus
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am backing up my MacBook pro and my iphone etc. to the Apple cloud. Do I need The Time Capsule also?)
Is Ethernet needed for this to work? I have a 3 floor townhouse with modem on the bottom floor. I hate Fios.
I would like to keep the time capsule on the mid level alongside my iMac on the computer desk, but I don't know what will give me the fastest connection. I don't understand what the thunderbolt adapters and other cables do. Help!!! Thanks in advance!
Side note: what hard drive (if any) do I need to stream my media to other devices besides my Apple TV?
- Asked by Brandi S from Severn
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Ethernet needed for this to work? I have a 3 floor townhouse with modem on the bottom floor. I hate Fios.)
Can i easily back up multiple devices (iMac and MacBook) wirelessly, and access the separate back-ups, without having to create partitions?Answer
Yes, no problem. The Time Capsule will create a separate folder for each device. Just bear in mind that later down the road, those devices will likely be fighting for space as the Time Capsule fills up!
What do the different model numbers mean
ME182B/A and MD033B/A what is the difference?
- Asked by Rosemary C
- Flag as inappropriate (What do the different model numbers mean)
Ordering this thing gets you the newest version (MD826AM/A) and not the ZM/A version. March 2016
- Answered by Margot M from Boca Raton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What do the different model numbers mean)