Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)

Get help buying. or call 1800-1651-0525.
  • Overview

    The 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter features a magnetic DC connector so if someone trips over it, the lead disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely. It also helps prevent fraying or weakening of the cables over time. In addition, the magnetic DC helps guide the plug into the system for a quick and secure connection.

    When the connection is secure, an LED located at the head of the DC connector lights up; an amber light lets you know that your notebook is charging, while a green light tells you that you have full charge. An AC lead is provided with the adapter for maximum lead length, while the AC wall adapter (also provided) gives you an even easier and more compact way to travel.

    Designed to be the perfect travelling companion, the adapter has a clever design that allows the DC cable to be wound neatly around itself for easy cable storage.

    This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery.

    Compatible with MacBook Pro with Retina display.

    Not sure if this is the right power adapter for your Mac?

    See this article for more details about choosing the right one.

    Knowing which specific Mac model you have is important. If you are running OS X Lion (10.7) or later, go to the “” menu at the top left of your screen, choose “About this Mac” then click the “More Info...” button. Your Mac model and generation will be displayed.

  • Mac Models

    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
  • 1.5 Average
    1 out of 5 stars
    Number of stars Percentage Number of reviews
    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      NOT GOOD.

      This charger gets extremely hot and the cable is very weak. Not a good design at all had to buy another one. I hope apple refund my money on the product.

      • Written by E O from luton

      628 of 678 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?NOT GOOD.

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Quality - I think not

      After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had now 'frayed' at the mag 2 connector showing the metal grading around the cable itself. It is a poorly designed and poorly constructed piece of equipment which lets down the whole product. I just wonder what Apple were thinking of.......

      • Written by Eric H from Wolverhampton

      490 of 517 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Quality - I think not

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

      The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the internal wires. In the process it melted a hole in the carpet it was sitting on. Overheating seems to be a recurrent problem with this design. Tomorrow I will see what the Mac Store has to say about this. I assume that they will replace the product for free.

      • Written by Neil M from Birmingham

      433 of 481 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Hot to Touch

      Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter for my 15" MacBook Pro gets extremely hot to touch and I feel that it's a fire hazard. Also, the cable from the base of charge Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter for my 15" MacBook Pro gets extremely hot to touch and I feel that it's a fire hazard. Also, the cable from the base of charger to connection at the laptop is cracked open so that wires are exposed, possibly from cable being hot & softening due to overheating. I expected this power adapter to be the best in quality from an Apple product, considering what I paid for my laptop.

      • Written by Paul P from Toronto

      4 of 4 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Hot to Touch

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Extremely dangerous...

      I've had my MacBook now for about 3 years (the Mid-2015 pro) and the worst part about it is the chargers. My first one failed on me after about 11 months of usa I've had my MacBook now for about 3 years (the Mid-2015 pro) and the worst part about it is the chargers. My first one failed on me after about 11 months of usage. I do use it daily, but the fact the plug pins were sparking whenever I even touched them against the socket was crazy, then it just stopped charging at all. After weeks of complaining (with them telling me they could charge me if they found it was my fault it was sparking?) I finally received a replacement a week inside of my year warranty. The cable I've had since has literally turned yellow at the end of the wire where its overheated so much its caused wire damage. It's horrendously hot to touch even after just minutes of it being plugged in, particularly the MagSafe adapter part. I keep putting it off to buy a new one because of how expensive they are, plus the fact I've had two now that have been faulty. It's just not good enough. I buy expensive products to use daily and I expect the best quality for that, like any costumer would. Now I've been left with basically an £80 fee just to buy another so it doesn't do permanent damage to my laptop, or me.

      • Written by Alice J from OLDHAM

      9 of 9 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Extremely dangerous...

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Extremely Disappointed...

      I'll preface this by mentioning that I've been a Mac user for 25 years. The thing I love most about Apple products has (until now) been the durability. I love t I'll preface this by mentioning that I've been a Mac user for 25 years. The thing I love most about Apple products has (until now) been the durability. I love that my three iPhones I've had over the years have each lasted 4+ years; it's nice to trust a product will last when you're investing good money into it. My iMac desktop from 2001 still works great, but it didn't have wifi connectivity technology, so that is the only reason I made an upgrade to my first MacBook Pro laptop. That laptop still works, but I upgraded to my current MacBook Pro after seven great years of everyday use on my first one. I LOVE my current MacBook Pro! It is reliable and works great for daily writing and graphic design use. But, I digress.... Anyway, for the first time in two and a half decades, I am extremely disappointed with an Apple product! The design and quality (or lack thereof) of this charger is upsetting and not what I've come to expect as a longtime daily user of Apple products. I take excellent care of my computer and accessories, but this is now the SECOND 85W MagSafe2 Power Adapter that has gone bad already since upgrading to this computer. I never had this issue with my previous L-shaped charger for my old MacBook Pro laptop. Now I spend thousands on a wonderful new computer, and I'm spending $80 per year on replacement chargers. That is ridiculous is you ask me. I'm not sure if it's just what the skinny part of the cord is made out of or what, but it gets kind of brittle and starts to fray way too easily. Now I have exposed copper at various places along this charger, so I have to shovel out another $80 to replace it. I am just getting frustrated because I know it will happen again with the next one.

      • Written by H L from Hastings

      13 of 16 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Extremely Disappointed...

  • Answers from the community