what does the color wheel mean?
When I use the computer, a small color wheel comes up and circles for a long time. While that is happening, I cannot use the computer. It is locked. How can I clean up my computer so this does not occur?
- Asked by Edwina K from Ponte Vedra
- Flag as inappropriate (what does the color wheel mean?)
1 Answer from the Community
Ah yes...the ‘spinning beachball of death’.
1st thing, don’t panic! When you see the color wheel it means that the computer is ‘thinking’ or, more accurately, attempting or trying to execute your command. A few things can cause the color wheel but the most common one is insufficient RAM memory installed in your Mac. You can check the amount of RAM memory installed by clicking on the Apple menu on the upper left corner of the Mac’ screen. Then select ‘About this Mac’. While most Mac operating systems will work (adequately) with 4 GB of RAM, if your Mac permits the installation of more RAM, you might consider doing so. It’s easy to install and inexpensive as well. The additional RAM will let your Mac ‘breath’ a bit easier and you should see fewer beachballs.
If you have 8GB or more of RAM and are still getting spinning beachballs, try closing some of the open applications. Even with sufficient RAM if you’ve got 6 or more apps running at the same time, that’s going to dramatically slow the computer down (and you’ll see the wheel).
- Answered by Dru R from Richardson
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
My Mac is not responding because of the color wheel so I can’t sign in to shut anything down. What should I do next?
- Asked by Marie K from Rocky Point
- 04 26, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (My Mac is not responding because of the color wheel so I can’t sign in to shut anything down. What should I do next?)
Is there a way to buy the short adapter separately? I mean the one that has the two prongs that flip out.
- Asked by Daniel G from Melville
- 02 4, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to buy the short adapter separately? I mean the one that has the two prongs that flip out.)
- Asked about: Power Adapter Extension Cable
The product description says "high-quality European leather." What does that mean? Full grain, top grain, split, bonded?
- Asked by Andrew P from Long Grove
- 10 27, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (The product description says "high-quality European leather." What does that mean? Full grain, top grain, split, bonded?)
- Asked about: Leather Sleeve for 12‑inch MacBook …