Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?
My landlord's wireless router is only 802.11b, whilst this is okay for their internet access (which is only 4Mbps) it means that when I am trying to use home sharing on Apple TV the connection is really bad. Can I attach this by ethernet cable to the existing router and stream from iTunes on my MacBook Air to Apple TV at a much faster rate or will the wireless network it creates be restricted by the internet download speed?
1 Answer from the Community
With any network (wireless or hard wired), the whole system is only as fast as the slowest part as it acts like a bottle neck.
In your case, if the music or show is already downloaded onto your Mac, then it sounds like you may be on your limits distance wise from the router and it is cutting in and out. If signal strength is good, and you are streaming, then adding the Express won't change anything.
To check this out before splashing out your hard earned money, hard wire your components utilising a LAN cable (CAT5 or similar) and if it is improved, then it is the wireless network that is acting as the weak point.
Short answer, if streaming and hard wired you still have issues, then Express won't do anything for you. If it is good, buy it as it will help. My thoughts without knowing exact details, upgrade the internet plan.
- Answered by Peter C from Swanbourne
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
can i use my IPhone hotspot to connect Apple TV to television
- Asked by Kenneth E from Hamilton
- 05 11, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my IPhone hotspot to connect Apple TV to television)
- Asked about: Apple TV
hdmi ports on my TV do not work but the rca inputs do. Can I connect my apple TV to my television with a HDMI to RCA (3 prongs)?
- Asked by Robert R from Valrico
- 07 2, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (hdmi ports on my TV do not work but the rca inputs do. Can I connect my apple TV to my television with a HDMI to RCA (3 prongs)?)
- Asked about: Apple TV
Can I connect my Iphone4 to my television with the apple AV adapter and a HDMI cable and watch live TV from FilmOn App?
- Asked by Sarah G
- 09 6, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my Iphone4 to my television with the apple AV adapter and a HDMI cable and watch live TV from FilmOn App?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter