Can I purchase Snow Leopard as a download? The software indicates a DVD is in the box. I have a Mac Air late 2010 without a CD/DVD drive.
Inadvertently an update for OSX Update Combined version 10.9.5 was installed on top of Snow Leopard 10.6.8. now the Mac Air info shows the OSX version as 10.9.5, but it also shows Snow Leopard as the OS installed. iPhoto is broken and the update for iPhoto will not install because it is for 10.10 and newer. Other applications are likely also broken. I would like to re-install Snow Leopard to reverse the snafu on the combined update and return the system to an intact 10.6.8. And I do not have an external drive for the Mac Air.
2 Answers from the Community
Snow Leopard can only be purchased on DVD media.
However, to install on Mac without optical drive, there are a couple of options.
1) instructions are on the DVD to install over a network from another Mac that has an optical drive, or,
2) with a Mac with an optical drive, one can create a bootable USB stick with the contents of the Snow Leopard Install DVD. Do an internet search for "Install OS X Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive". You will need a USB flash drive at least 8GB in size. The USB flash drive will be reformatted, so any files already on the drive will be erased. Then the USB flash drive can be used to install Snow Leopard on the Mac without an optical drive.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. Snow Leopard is only sold on a DVD.
If you have been diligent with backups, you can use your last Time Machine back up to restore your Mac to the state it was in before the incorrect update was applied.
Alternatively, provided that you have enough RAM, you will find that running you Mac on Yosemite (10.10) is well worth it.
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Where can I get a CD/DVD burning software? That is compatible with my New iMAC. I can't find it.
- Asked by Miguel S from Jacksonville
- 11 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Where can I get a CD/DVD burning software? That is compatible with my New iMAC. I can't find it.)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive
I still love my iPad Air,still wish I could attach a keyboard...and though I may some day upgrade still need to be able to play/or make a CD/DVD
- Asked by Carol J from Belleville
- 07 13, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (I still love my iPad Air,still wish I could attach a keyboard...and though I may some day upgrade still need to be able to play/or make a CD/DVD)
- Asked about: Smart Keyboard for 12.9‑inch iPad P…
External CD/DVD Drive not working with Multiport Adaptor
- Asked by Kathleen M from Orlando
- 07 8, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (External CD/DVD Drive not working with Multiport Adaptor)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter