Do I need to backup before I upgrade
Soon I will upgrade my MacBook to Mac OS 10.6. Do I have to backup my all data?
- Asked by Seung K from Lisle
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need to backup before I upgrade)
2 Answers from the Community
Seriously,you should keep regular backups. If you've never had a hard drive crash, you have no idea how mcuh of a hassle it is to retrieve your data files. Not to mention costly if you have to take the drive to a professional.
Time Machine helps a lot with regular backups and it's easy to use. I have a second hard drive connected to my Mac specifically for Time Machine. It works in the background so I don't have to think about it.
You don't have to do a clean install, or reformat your disk, to upgrade. It's just a good idea to back up all your data anytime you upgrade, just in case .
- Answered by Marie D from Moreno Valley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I installed Snow Leopard on a separate freshly formatted partition. During installation, Snow Leopard asked me if I wanted to import my settings, files and/or applications from my older OS partition.
This gave me the advantage of being able to startup from either OS in case I needed to work in the older OS. It also meant that all my data was left intact on the old partition.
If your HD is too small for two partitions, consider having an external drive for your old OS, and Snow Leopard on the internal HD. Make sure that the external HD partition is bootable and the old OS works properly on it before installing Snow Leopard on the internal drive.
Installing Snow Leopard will not affect your data, but using separate partitions or having a backup is wise.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
is the Lion download (available from Apple at $19.99) an upgrade or a full install?
- Asked by David H from Ulladulla
- 07 27, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (is the Lion download (available from Apple at $19.99) an upgrade or a full install?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
I have a MBP 2011 running 10.6.8. Will the new airport time capsule work with it? I want to use it for the router and backup.
- Asked by Meagan Q from Hopewell Jct
- 08 31, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a MBP 2011 running 10.6.8. Will the new airport time capsule work with it? I want to use it for the router and backup.)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
can the usb superdrive be used as a backup for the computer?
- Asked by Linda G from Tulsa
- 03 5, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (can the usb superdrive be used as a backup for the computer?)
- Asked about: Apple USB SuperDrive