dou core xeon with 5 gig ram running 10.6.8 what's the best upgrade without losing old software & drivers?
- Asked by Tom R. Y from Silverthorne
- Flag as inappropriate (dou core xeon with 5 gig ram running 10.6.8 what's the best upgrade without losing old software & drivers?)
1 Answer from the Community
My recommendation is to make a clone of the partition with current OS. Then upgrade the clone and see if the software and drivers still work. That's what I do for each major upgrade of the OS. This allows me to test the new OS, and still go back to the old OS until I can upgrade any software or drivers that are not compatible.
How to make a clone? With Disk Utility create a new partition (either on internal drive or on external drive). New partition must be formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with GUID partitioning. Then use Disk Utility to "restore" the old partition to the new partition.
At Wikipedia, I notice that MacPro1,1 with dual-core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" can only be officially upgraded to OS 10.7. However, unofficially, it can run up to OS 10.11 "El Capitan" with an upgrade to a supported graphics card and EF164 emulation.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
i am running OS X 10.6.8 on my mac. how do i upgrade my software?
- Asked by Jovanny L from Ocean
- 06 29, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (i am running OS X 10.6.8 on my mac. how do i upgrade my software?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)