Hi I have a Mac G5 OS X 10.3.9, i would like to update it to the newest version possible. Is Snow Leopard good for me, if not, what should i do?
processor: Dual 1.8 GHz Power PC Mac G5
OS X 10.3.9
Memory: 1 GB DDR SDRAM
6 Answers from the Community
Snow Leopard is Intel-only, and your G5 is powered by a non-Intel processor. If you'd like to upgrade your system, Leopard is a very good choice and does work on PowerPC processor Macs. I believe you can still purchase Leopard through various stores that sell Apple products and software. It would certainly be worth it!
Otherwise, you can look at refurbished or new replacement machines that are powered by an Intel Processor. I highly recommend getting a machine that features a Core 2 Duo processor, and would look at the graphics processor vs. the Snow Leopard tech requirements, so that you can maximize the features that 10.6 offers.
- Answered by Michael G from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No sorry Mac OS X (10.6) does not install nor work with Power PC G5 or any Power PC before it. Your Mac has to be an Intel Mac. You can install Leopard (10.5.8)
- Answered by Kevin M from Atlanta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will not install on a G5. Snow Leopard only runs on Intel processor-based Macs.
G3, G4 and G5 are all PowerPC processors.
The most recent version of Mac OS X you can install on your G5 is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
- Answered by John J from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard only supports Intel processors. However, your Power Mac G5 can be upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
- Answered by Mike B from Roswell
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
upgrade to Leopard, not snow leopard. Snow Leopard is Intel only.
- Answered by David M from Gretna
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
- Answered by I Ketut W
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 6
Can I skip upgrading to OS X Lion and go straight to Mavericks? I currently have Snow Leopard and my Garmin will not update with our current version.
- Asked by Nancy C from Newport News
- 09 21, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I skip upgrading to OS X Lion and go straight to Mavericks? I currently have Snow Leopard and my Garmin will not update with our current version.)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
Can i use this keyboard for an eMac OS X 10.3.9??
- Asked by Orlando P from East Boston
- 02 7, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this keyboard for an eMac OS X 10.3.9??)
- Asked about: Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad …