I Have a Mac OS X version 10.4.11 can I up grade it to 10.6 snow leopard-family
- Asked by Edward A from Tuckerton
- Flag as inappropriate (I Have a Mac OS X version 10.4.11 can I up grade it to 10.6 snow leopard-family)
1 Answer from the Community
If you have a Mac with an Intel processor and at least 1GB of memory, yes you can! You can use any Snow Leopard DVD (the retail versions) including the $29 DVD.
While some have upgraded directly to Snow Leopard directly over top of OS10.4.11, I preferred to take the following steps when I upgraded from OS10.4.11:
1) Do a "clean install" of Snow Leopard to a new partition. If necessary, clone your 10.4 partition to a temporary, bootable external hard drive.
2) All Snow Leopard disks can do a "Clean Install". But with the $29 disk you need to follow some extra steps, since "Erase and Install" is not part of the automatic installation... but the tools to do so are provided on the DVD.
Basically, when you put the Snow Leopard DVD into your Mac, you will be presented with two options: 1) to "Continue" with a standard upgrade, or, 2) go to "Utilities". Select the "Utilities" button (there will be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your hard drive (or partition) that Snow Leopard is going on to. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait for some time when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files.)
3) At some point during the installation, the installer will search all other partitions for an older OS, and if found, the installer will ask if you want to import the OS Settings, Files and/or Applications from that partition. Do this for a very smooth transition from OS 10.4.11.
4) All my apps from OS 10.4 continued to work in Snow Leopard, but some of my printer drivers and scanner utility needed upgrades. Until I could find the upgrades, I was still able to Start Up from my OS 10.4 partition (press Option during start up) in order to use my printers and scanner in the meantime.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will it work with OS X 10.4.11
- Asked by Luz S. T from Alice
- 07 12, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work with OS X 10.4.11)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Does this charger work on a Macbook OS X version 10.4.11
- Asked by Kim A from Lees Summit
- 05 24, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this charger work on a Macbook OS X version 10.4.11)
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe Power Adapter for…
How does this differ from the other 'Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro)' ? Is it just a newer version?
- Asked by Emma C from Reading
- 02 8, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (How does this differ from the other 'Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (for MacBook and 13-inch MacBook Pro)' ? Is it just a newer version?)
- Asked about: Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (fo…