I have an iLife '08 MacBook. Where do I start to upgrade?
1 Answer from the Community
You have two questions in one.
1) How to upgrade iLife '08 to iLife '11.
2) How to upgrade from your current OS to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) or later.
First, determine which OS you are running. Go to "About This Mac" under the Apple menu. In the resulting information window, the second line from the top (under "OS X") will tell you which version of OS you are running.
If you have OS 10.5 or earlier, you will need to upgrade to at least OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) (and then do "Software Update" to get to OS 10.6.8). OS 10.6.8 or higher is necessary in order to access the App Store so one can download the current version of iLife and/or the current OS (OS 10.8).
However, if your Mac does not have an Intel processor (and instead has a PowerPC processor), you will not be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard.
iLife 11 may run on your Mac, but check system requirements first. While iLife 11 was originally supported by Snow Leopard, the latest updates to iPhoto and iMovie require Mountain Lion. iLife 11 is the first iLife released that must have an Intel-based Mac (it will not run on the older PowerPC-based Macs). iLife 09 and iLife 08 are compatible with both PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs.
Operating Systems after Snow Leopard support only the newer Macs. For example, OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not support most Macs made before mid-2008.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I connect Lenovo laptop (with VGA port) to an '08 Macbook (not pro) that only has USB ports to get extended screens?
- Asked by Melanie K from Aurora
- 06 20, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect Lenovo laptop (with VGA port) to an '08 Macbook (not pro) that only has USB ports to get extended screens?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
i have a late 08 macbook black. what is the newest OS i can run on it? a lot of apps aren't compatible with this OS
- Asked by Ricardo N from Fort Worth
- 05 14, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (i have a late 08 macbook black. what is the newest OS i can run on it? a lot of apps aren't compatible with this OS)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
can I use this cable to connect my Macbook Pro Air to a Powerall jump start for 12 volt vehicles. It shows it will charge laptops but requires cable.
- Asked by Alice L from Erath
- 11 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use this cable to connect my Macbook Pro Air to a Powerall jump start for 12 volt vehicles. It shows it will charge laptops but requires cable.)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable