I have an iMac 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo and it is running on 2GB (DDR2) of RAM. Since Snow Leopard is a 64-bit OS, will it support 8GB of RAM?
I know in Windows, a 64-bit OS can support upto 8GB of RAM but I wanted to make sure that was the same case in Mac. Below is my Hardware Overview:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
2 Answers from the Community
Snow Leopard supports much more than 8GB of RAM, however your model of iMac officially supports a maximum of 4GB of memory. It's a limit imposed by the hardware.
Current iMacs support up to 8GB, and Mac Pros support up to 32GB of RAM.
One more thing - a 64 bit computer could theoretically address about 17.6 billion GB of RAM!
- Answered by Douglas G from Baltimore
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The following is how I configured my Mac. The memory I added in myself.
Current O.S. Yosemite
Processer:2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
This works okay for elementary purposes such as web surfing (as long as there are no more than two or three windows open) and e-mail (the smart phones can just as easily do these), but it is taxed severely when trying to do HD video processing. When I bought my Mac, HD flash camcorders had not made an appearance yet, and MiniDV was the highest resolution for a recording format.
The current lineup of iMacs and Mac Pros use use a motherboard with a front side bus of 1867 MHz, but the new motherboards use a bus almost twice that. I may consider getting another Mac, but if they don't upgrade them with the current generation of equipment this year, I'll keep what I have and see what alternatives are out there.
- Answered by John Douglas H from Andover
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can i run mac os in my intel pc? i really love it ..
- Asked by Muhammad Usama Y
- 03 22, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (can i run mac os in my intel pc? i really love it ..)
- Asked about: Mac
I have an iMac with 2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Can I still upgrade to OS 10.7 even though I don't have 2 gig ram?
- Asked by Sandra R from Naples
- 05 16, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an iMac with 2 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Can I still upgrade to OS 10.7 even though I don't have 2 gig ram?)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
I have an early 2006 I mac core 2 duo (512MB of RAM) running OS10 tiger can I upgrade the memory for more RAM to install snow Leopard?
- Asked by James B from Prince George
- 09 26, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an early 2006 I mac core 2 duo (512MB of RAM) running OS10 tiger can I upgrade the memory for more RAM to install snow Leopard?)
- Asked about: Apple Memory Module 4GB 1866MHz DDR…