I have just purchased a MacBook Air. With the new release soon of OS high Sierra Will my MacBook be useless
Have I just bought a MacBook that's soon to be obsolete
1 Answer from the Community
First, no Mac is completely useless no matter which version of the Mac OS is on it. Just that some newer programs and protocols may not be compatible with the older OS. Just like older peripherals and programs may not be compatible with newer versions of the OS. I keep several versions of the OS on my Mac. If I want to use my scanner I use OS 10.6. If I want to attend a webinar I use OS 10.12 (because modern browsers needed). For my day to day work using MS Office 2011 and Adobe CS5, I use OS 10.8.5.
Second, OS 10.13 (High Sierra) supports models of MacBook Air from 2010 onwards, but not older models from 2008 & 2009. You need to look up your Model ID. To find the Model ID, go to "About This Mac" under the Apple Menu. Click "More Info" then click "System Report". Select "Hardware" at top of left pane. In right pane the Model Identifier will be listed.
If the Model Identifier is MacBookAir1,1 then OS 10.7 is last OS X supported officially.
If MacBookAir2,1 then OS 10.11 is last OS X supported officially.
If MacBookAir3,1 or later, then OS 10.13 (High Sierra) is supported.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouver
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Upgrading from OS X Yosemite to OS X Sierra
- Asked by Donald M from Olrando
- 12 3, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Upgrading from OS X Yosemite to OS X Sierra)
- Asked about: Mac
No answers yet
Can I use it for Macbook Air?
- Asked by Aryana J from Chantilly
- 12 15, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use it for Macbook Air?)
- Asked about: Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader
No answers yet
Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?
- Asked by Chase H from Saint Marys
- 06 12, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you need a special internet connection to use this or is it just like the USB ethernet adapter?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…