Is there any way to upgrade an emac from an Os 10.5.8 so that I can access more? Also what external hard drive is available to back it up?
1 Answer from the Community
The eMac came with a PowerPC processor. OS 10.5.8 is the last version of OS X that can run on it. All OS X versions after OS 10.5.8 will not run on Macs with PowerPC processors, but instead require an Intel processor.
Any external hard drive that supports FireWire 400 or USB 2 should work on the eMac.
Note that new hard drives may come with FireWire 800 ports or USB 3 ports.
FireWire 800 devices can plug-in to a FireWire 400 port with an adapter cable such as the Belkin FireWire 800/400 9-Pin/6-Pin Cable at the Apple Store.
USB 3 devices should be backwards compatible to USB 2.
USB drives will cost less than drives with FireWire... simply because USB is much more popular.
There are a number of external drives that have both USB and FireWire connections.
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
2006 macbook 10.5.8 can i upgrade with external USB DRIVE
- Asked by Carlos V from Anaheim
- 07 8, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (2006 macbook 10.5.8 can i upgrade with external USB DRIVE)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
Transferring existing external backup hard drives to Airport Time Capsule?
- Asked by Armando M from Wilson
- 08 23, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Transferring existing external backup hard drives to Airport Time Capsule?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Can I connect an external hard drive to the MacBook?
- Asked by Gordon Y from Flemington
- 12 10, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect an external hard drive to the MacBook?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter