What can I do with my old 10.5.8 power PC G5? Is there an upgrade out there for this system? I don't want to trash it it works fine!!!
2 Answers from the Community
10.5.8 is the last version of OS X to work on any Power PC Mac. Regrettably that also locks it out of the latest versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
I have an old (2003!) PowerBook G4 that is also stuck on Leopard... it is amazing that it was fully supported up to the end of 2011 (when 10.7 Lion was released)..... (8 years of productive, supported computing from a laptop is a good effort). I hang onto it because it is almost a collectors item - it can run OS 9 and OS X 10.2 through to 10.5!
- Answered by Rodney W from Niddrie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Keep using it! So WHAT about the latest browsers? It's great for email, browsing, videos, photo editing. It's a great computer...you can put in faster hard drives in it. I have a faster larger one backing up the original one. It's such a great design that you don't need tools to open it up. I also have a newer iMac that's an Intel machine.
I just bought a SmartTV and it connected to my network. Oddly enough, it had no trouble seeing my G5 running Leopard, but the iMac running Yosemite didn't show up....probably due to increased security software.
Someone at an Apple shop once disparaged the G5 to me, ..but it's been great for me and it's probably the last "tower" I'll have.
- Answered by Sari K from Evanston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can i use airport tc with os 10.5.8 system reqs say setup and admin needs lion but other features don't require lion
- Asked by Jeff S from Hampstead
- 07 7, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use airport tc with os 10.5.8 system reqs say setup and admin needs lion but other features don't require lion)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Can I upgrade the mac I currently have? Running 10.5.8
- Asked by Elizabeth R from I Lion
- 05 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I upgrade the mac I currently have? Running 10.5.8)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)