Can I use this to transfer my files/applications in my MBP to the new Mac Air?
Everytime I buy a new MacBook Pro I get to transfer my applications and files from my older MacBook to the new MacBook when I start up my new MacBook. I am buying a Mac Air in a few days and I need to do the same but the new MacAir has no ethernet port. Can I, therefore, use this accessory to transfer my files/applications from my current MBP to the new Mac Air which I will order?
- Asked by Emmanuel B from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to transfer my files/applications in my MBP to the new Mac Air?)
3 Answers from the Community
You should be able to.
- Answered by Derek K from Hanover
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes, you could. But you probably wouldn't want to.
The USB Ethernet adapter is a 10/100Mbps network adapter, meaning it's max speed is 100 megabits (Mb) per second.
The current generation of MacbookAir has 802.11n wireless which has a max speed of over 200Mbps, if connected to an wireless-N network.
So, if you have a MBP with wireless-N connected to an WiFi-N network, or if your MBP is connected via hardline to your WiFi-N router, than transferring over the wireless will be faster than using a hard line.
However, if you don't have a router, or have a wireless-G or slower router, you'd be limited to 54Mbps on G or .. well, no connection without. So, you'd want to use this adapter. Either by connecting through a router/hub/switch, (MBA--hub--MBP) or with a crossover cable (MBA=x=MBP) though using a crossover cable requires some extra configuration and a crossover cable or adapter.
Hope this answers your question!
- Answered by J N from Northbridge
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Clarification: a crossover cable is NOT required on modern Macs. Any ethernet patch cable will work. The onboard NICs on all Intel Macs have Auto-MDIX.
- Answered by Joe N from Townsend
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Which Mac cable do I need to connect new 15" MBP to new 27" iMac so MBP runs on iMac screen? Both have Mini DisplayPorts.
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxxxxxx
- 03 25, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (Which Mac cable do I need to connect new 15" MBP to new 27" iMac so MBP runs on iMac screen? Both have Mini DisplayPorts.)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Can i use this cable to transfer data from a 2014 MacBook air 11 inch to a 2018 MacBook 12-inch? I tried the migration wirelessly but did not work.
- Asked by Laurence S from Newberry
- 08 15, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use this cable to transfer data from a 2014 MacBook air 11 inch to a 2018 MacBook 12-inch? I tried the migration wirelessly but did not work.)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbol…