Does the new Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter support Wake-on-LAN?
And if so does it matter if the computer's just asleep or fully powered off?
- Asked by Blake C from Port Huron
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the new Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter support Wake-on-LAN?)
2 Answers from the Community
No, does not work. Not when it's powered off, not when the Mac is in sleep mode.
I have tried it with a Macbook Air 2013.
- Answered by Sebastian K
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It should support "Wake for Ethernet network access" as long as it was configured and active before you put the computer to sleep.
"Wake for Ethernet network access" only works if the computer is asleep which is actually a super low power mode in which the CPU can watch for incoming network activity.
If you shutdown the computer, there is no way incoming network traffic will wake it. (the CPU is totally off; no network monitoring possible)
- Answered by Chris S from San Jose
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does the Time Capsule support Power over Ethernet.
- Asked by Thomas P
- 09 27, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule support Power over Ethernet.)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB