Is it worth me connecting this adapter to my (unused) thunderbolt port on my current iMac to give me better speeds over my Cat6 Ethernet cable?
2 Answers from the Community
Your current iMac should already have gigabit Ethernet installed in it. So using this Gigabit Thunderbolt adapter shouldn't increase your speed since both are still using Gigabit Ethernet. Based on reviews from other sites it might actually be slightly slower than the built in Ethernet and use more CPU power.
- Answered by Tyler S from Velva
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Thanks Tyler. Had I looked closely enough I probably could have found the answer for myself. But, it's good to hear it from someone with a decent knowledge base! Cheers.
- Answered by Brad S from Mulgrave
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
can thunderbolt cable be used for LAN/internet connection??
- Asked by Sudhanshu M
- 09 11, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (can thunderbolt cable be used for LAN/internet connection??)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
How many monitors can I use on a 2011 27" iMac with dual Thunderbolt ports?
- Asked by Michael M from Cedar City
- 06 3, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (How many monitors can I use on a 2011 27" iMac with dual Thunderbolt ports?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
What type of ethernet cable to use with the new Airport Extreme?
- Asked by Jeffry S from Redford
- 06 22, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What type of ethernet cable to use with the new Airport Extreme?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme