How do I connect my new WD Thunderbolt Drive to my 2007 iMac?
I've just bought a Thunderbolt external drive to use with my iMac 2007. The only connection that comes with the drive is a Thunderbolt cable. How do I connect the drive to the Mac? is there a Thunderbolt to Firewire or to USB connector?
1 Answer from the Community
Thunderbolt is not backwards compatible at all because it is basically a revised mini display port that can also do hi speed data and other things. My point is that this technology will not work with old technology. So unfortunately there is no way to do what you are trying to do, sorry :( The best way I can explain it would be to compare it to trying to put a floppy disk into a cd drive.....it just doesn't work :P
- Answered by Jonathan D from Gilbert
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use this to connect an (old) iMac via its ethernet port to an external thunderbolt hard drive?
- Asked by Andrew M
- 08 1, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to connect an (old) iMac via its ethernet port to an external thunderbolt hard drive?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…
Any way to connect an iMac mid-2007 to the new 2015 retina iMac, & which cable (& product #) do I purchase?
- Asked by Kathleen P from Lawrenceville
- 10 27, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Any way to connect an iMac mid-2007 to the new 2015 retina iMac, & which cable (& product #) do I purchase?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter