can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad
My aunt sent me a dvd full of pictures from my grandmothers funeral. We have an IMac, so i'm guessing the superdrive is the best option for getting info from a disc to the computer. Can I use the superdrive to play movies on our IPad? Because saving the movies takes up way too much space.
- Asked by Steven L from Haines City
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use my superdrive to play movies on my ipad)
3 Answers from the Community
No. And you can't use the Photo Connection Kit's USB for this purpose, either. But you can convert those video files to an iTunes-friendly format (such as MP4) and then load them onto your iPad from iTunes. The app Handbrake is designed to convert movies to iPhone- and iPad-friendly formats. It takes a little time and effort, but it does make movies portable, and they are much smaller in size for storage.
- Answered by Patricia E C from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The iPad does have a USB connection via the Camera Connector kit. The problem is that not all USB devices are supported either because they draw too much power or there are no drivers for them. Often you can get around the too much power requirement by hooking up the device to a POWERED USB hub. You may need to do this even if the USB device has its own power source or cable. If you get a message that the device is unsupported it MAY still work. You just need to try it. USB keyboards are like this frequently. You can also use the new USB 3.0 Camera Connector kit that has an extra lightning connection.
I tried the SuperDrive connected to the USB 3.0 kit with a wall power connection and the SuperDrive was recognized but not supported. So I tried a CD ANYWAY and the automatic insertion didn't work. It isn't supported.
Mice do no work either, even wireless ones.
- Answered by Vincent M from Philadelphia
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
No. The Ipad does not have a USB connection.
- Answered by Eric R from Centreville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can I connect my iPad to my superdrive to play DVDs
- Asked by Peter S
- 06 27, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my iPad to my superdrive to play DVDs)
- Asked about: iPad
Does it support charging to iPad/iPhone with Power from HDMI while playing movie? If yes, it will be very good for long playing movie.
- Asked by Eddie C
- 04 30, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support charging to iPad/iPhone with Power from HDMI while playing movie? If yes, it will be very good for long playing movie.)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter
Will this allow you to plug in an Apple USB SuperDrive into the MacBook to play movies or read/write DVD/CDs?
- Asked by Michael W from Spokane
- 03 12, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this allow you to plug in an Apple USB SuperDrive into the MacBook to play movies or read/write DVD/CDs?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter