So is this new Superdrive USB 3.0 or 2.0 then? Would like to hope it was 3.0 to match the new specs of the Macbook Pro & Macbook Air?
4 Answers from the Community
No. The SuperDrive is USB 2.0. There is no difference in speed between 3.0 and 2.0 because a CD can be written at max 16x which is 2 megabytes a second or a DVD can be written at max 8x which is 11 megabytes a second. (I am assuming you are using the fastest possible CD/DVD) USB 2.0 runs at a peak speed of 60 megabytes a second which is more than enough to handle the write and read speed of a CD/DVD
- Answered by Dean S from Encino
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Speed is only one factor here. The device is also powered by the USB. My external SuperDrive actually has two separate USB 2 plugs, not for speed, but for enough power to run the device. USB 3 has more power and its more efficient. Playing a DVD consumes a lot of power from the plug, and would be much better with USB 3.
- Answered by Jeffe A from Murphys
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
USB 2.0, but this has more then enough speed for reading/writing DVDs/CDs
- Answered by Mark G from Mobile
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
The same question was asked and answered yesterday. It is not USB 3.0, but 2.0. Disk reading/writing does not occur at speeds fast enough to necessitate the jump from 2.0 to 3.0.
- Answered by Todd J from Orlando
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Are USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt compatible, is there an adapter presently on the market? If not can I upgrade my USB 2.0 to 3.0 on my Macbook?
- Asked by Joshua T from South Abington Township
- 01 2, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Are USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt compatible, is there an adapter presently on the market? If not can I upgrade my USB 2.0 to 3.0 on my Macbook?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…
Is the USB port on this adapter USB 2.0 or 3.0?
- Asked by George J. M from Chino Hills
- 12 1, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the USB port on this adapter USB 2.0 or 3.0?)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
No answers yet