Backing up multiple computers, does time machine need same total capacity as joint disk space? Or if not that much data is 2TB version ok?
We have a 2TB and a 1TB iMac plus a 500GB MacBook Pro that I'd like to set this up as a backup for. We don't have anywhere near that amount of data, but I know when I've had dedicated USB external hard drives for Time Machine it was supposed to have the same volume as the machine's hard drive. Trying to see if we can get away with the 2TB version for financial reasons...
1 Answer from the Community
There is no easy answer. The short answer is, yes, it will pair with these devices for backups. However, the time range and number of backups will be limited as you accumulate more data. You will be able to use it, however, it will become unpractical as each of you computers hard drives fills up. I wouldn't recommend sharing it between more than 2 computers with large drives like yours.
- Answered by Joey P from West Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is the Snow Leopard disk a bootable disk? I am looking to replace the hard drive in my macbook, and need a bootable disk.
- Asked by Mark C from Olathe
- 01 26, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Snow Leopard disk a bootable disk? I am looking to replace the hard drive in my macbook, and need a bootable disk.)
- Asked about: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
What is the best way to connect a retina macbook with a new 2TB time capsule? USB/ethernet adaptor does not transfer data.
- Asked by Chris H from Marmong Point
- 12 30, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the best way to connect a retina macbook with a new 2TB time capsule? USB/ethernet adaptor does not transfer data.)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…