Can the time capsule be used as a sort of media hub
I'd like to store my large collection of ripped DVD's on the time capsule. Id like to set it up so that anyone on my network can watch the movies, and also would like to be able to easily stream the movies to my tv's. I have apple tv, was wondering if this product is suitable for what I'm trying to do.
- Asked by John D from Manhasset
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the time capsule be used as a sort of media hub)
2 Answers from the Community
If you can change the media format to be compatible with iTunes, you can set up your iTunes media folder to be located on your time capsule and then you can use it as a media hub. I do with mine, as long as my mac air is open, it homeshares to my Apple TV. Really fast too!
- Answered by Sharene M from South Toowoomba
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Unfortunately the apple tv cannot get media data off the time capsule, instead it needs to connect to a Mac through home sharing. While it is possible to store your iTunes library on the time machine, and have your Mac access it through that, I have found this to be slow and unreliable, and the Mac must always be powered on and have iTunes open.
In terms of sharing the files with other people on your network, the time capsule would suit that perfectly. You could also still play the content on the apple tv as long as it was through a Mac first.
Hopefully that all makes sense, feel free to ask follow-ups if that doesn't make sense.
- Answered by Thomas A
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
is it compatible with the virgin media super hub, i.e could i extend the wi-fi of my superhub using the express
- Asked by Harry S
- 06 14, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (is it compatible with the virgin media super hub, i.e could i extend the wi-fi of my superhub using the express)
- Asked about: AirPort Express
Can this be used to extend my time capsule wifi signal?
- Asked by Scott P from Fort Myers
- 05 4, 14
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to extend my time capsule wifi signal?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme