What is the difference between the "Gigabit ethernet LAN" & "Gigabit ethernet WAN" ports
- Asked by Budd T from Tucson
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the difference between the "Gigabit ethernet LAN" & "Gigabit ethernet WAN" ports)
2 Answers from the Community
The WAN port is for your Wide Area Network which is just a long name for the ethernet cable port that you plug your internet modem into. The LAN port is for devices on your Local Area Network. Just remember your modem goes in the WAN port and everything else that isnt wireless goes into one of the LAN ports.
- Answered by Jared B from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Here's a diagram.
TC = Time Capsule
-- = some wiring
[Internet]--[Your Cable Router/Modem inside your House*]--[TC WAN Port][TC*][TC LAN Port]--[optional Other Router* WAN Port or Computer's Ethernet Jack]
The diagram is just showing what you might hook up with physical wires. The places where there are stars (*) are also potentially providing WiFi connections for use by computers/devices in your house.
Note that connecting anything to the LAN port is optional, because you could just use WiFi instead of doing that.
If you want your first backup to go really fast, you could connect your computer to a LAN port temporarily, say, overnight (through an adapter such as a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter or USB-C to ethernet adapter).
- Answered by Carlos M from Sunnyvale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
How do different cases interfere with the use of this dock?
- Asked by Christopher S from Lithia
- 05 26, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (How do different cases interfere with the use of this dock?)
- Asked about: iPhone Lightning Dock - White
what is the difference between Mini display port to VGA and the Mini DVI to VGA
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxxx
- 02 17, 10
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the difference between Mini display port to VGA and the Mini DVI to VGA)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter