Can it be used via the USB charging cable like a wired keyboard (without Bluetooth)?
- Asked by David B from Beaverton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it be used via the USB charging cable like a wired keyboard (without Bluetooth)?)
- Asked about: Magic Keyboard - US English
1 Answer from the Community
Yes. The Apple Magic Keyboard (and TrackPad 2) can be used through wired USB, no Bluetooth required!
despite Apple's claim to require “Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later.”
[Apparently, no links are allowed in answers; sorry.]
A user “Attention Miser” posted in an Apple forum Apr 7, 2016 4:28 PM in response to "Bring Back the Apple Wired Compact USB Keyboard"
> It’s back! The new Magic Keyboard works via the charging cable! I’m using it right now with Bluetooth turned off!
It’s true! (The switch has to be on of course.)
In addition to working on a MacBook Pro Retina 15″ Late 2013 running Yosemite 10.10.5, works, too, in Windows 7 running in Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro 15″ Early 2011. (Was the only Windows 7 system I had ready on hand.)
As further tests, I connected and used the Magic Keyboard to 2011/2012 ThinkPad X220i Tablet, with Bluetooth disabled in the OS, running: Windows 10, Ubuntu 12 and 14.
(The ThinkPad is multi-boot using GRUB; the Magic Keyboard doesn’t work for choosing the OS to boot into, although I did not try changing any BIOS USB settings.)
Similarly with the Magic TrackPad 2.
I hope Apple doesn't remove this feature in the future just because it wasn't advertised.
- Answered by Albert L from Mountain View
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can I use a adapter to charge my Dell XPS 13 via a USB-C cable? My Dell laptop requires only 45W of power to charge.
- Asked by Waqas R from Minneapolis
- 06 25, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use a adapter to charge my Dell XPS 13 via a USB-C cable? My Dell laptop requires only 45W of power to charge.)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Does the charging cable have to be removed after charging or can this trackpad be used like a wired trackpad?
- Asked by Gardner K from Houston
- 02 5, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the charging cable have to be removed after charging or can this trackpad be used like a wired trackpad?)
- Asked about: Magic Trackpad 2