Might a future update to the AirPods allow them to provide "noise cancelling" capabilities? See description below for the logic behind my question.
The descriptive text states: "when you’re on a call or talking to Siri, an additional accelerometer works with beamforming microphones to filter out background noise...." Because of this statement, I'm hoping it can be changed for more "full time" use -- optionally, for when I'm flying -- I'd like to avoid needing to take a separate set of specialize headphones. I understand that this might not be possible -- because you'd probably then need a bigger battery OR you might be able to communicate with the iPhone to provide the actual noise cancelling -- you already have the microphones needed.....
3 Answers from the Community
The filter out background noise is for Siri understanding you.
- Answered by Kaveer G from Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Don't think AirPods will change its design to include noise cancelling.
But do checkout Apple's Beats line of headphones. They have W1 chip and do have offerings in different shapes and functionalities. If there is going to be a noise cancelling model, it is likely that they will be added under the Beats side of product line.
- Answered by William L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Only thing I can tell you is that communicating to the iPhone for that purpose will not be possible, as the time it would take for the communication between headphones and iPhone would be too long... in headphones that support noise cancelling, that function is provided by specialised hardware (a chip) built in the headphone itself, to make that computation as fast and as efficient as possible.
Actually the more i think about it the less likely this seems, that this capability will be added through a software update. I guess it is possible, that future generations of the airpods will have that capability built in though.
Also noise cancelling for a call can work by matching your voice and the noise later on, the lag doesn't matter there.
Hope that is helpful
- Answered by Jean-marc W
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Video output options are limited. See description.
- Asked by Bradley D from Nesconset
- 03 13, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Video output options are limited. See description.)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
Does the Airport/Time Capsule Support Remote Access from the Internet. DDNS, Dynamic DNS, Wide area Bonjour,
- Asked by Neil G from Winter Park
- 06 26, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport/Time Capsule Support Remote Access from the Internet. DDNS, Dynamic DNS, Wide area Bonjour,)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
How do I disable noise cancellation on my Beats headphones.
- Asked by Richard H from Atlantic Highlands
- 04 24, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (How do I disable noise cancellation on my Beats headphones.)
- Asked about: Beats EP On-Ear Headphones - Black