Can I use this adapter to connect a thunderbolt 3 device (i.e. TB3 external hard drive) to a Mac Pro that has Thunderbolt 2 ports?
3 Answers from the Community
I have tested with a 2015 MacBook Pro (Thunderbolt 2) running El Capitan connected to an AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro (Thunderbolt 3) and it worked.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes. This adapter is bidirectional.
- Answered by Edwin T from Lafayette
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
That depends. Please see apple support document HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" and also look at the specifications of your TB3 external hard drive.
The main point is that the TB3 external hard drive must be self-powered, not bus-powered; i.e. it must have a separate power cable/power supply, not be powered by the Thunderbolt connection.
Other than that, yes, it should work, though the TB3 drive will function at TB2's 20Gbps not 40Gbps.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- 10 31, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?
- Asked by Mark W from San Francisco
- 01 25, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…
How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Diego G from Salvador
- 10 29, 11
- Flag as inappropriate (How many devices can be connected - simultaneously - to one thunderbolt port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2m) - Whit…