Can MacBook Pro (2016) models be charged from a 3rd party Thunderbolt 2 monitor (like the LG 34UC98-W) through this?
Does the design of this adapter allow power to come back from a Thunderbolt 2 device if that device supports sending power? Or does the adapter itself make that impossible.
2 Answers from the Community
The LG 34UC98-W only supports charging via the powered USB port on the back of the display, not via the thunderbolt ports. I did also try to use a USB to USB-C adapter cable to use that powered port to charge my MacBook but there is not enough power output from that port to charge the MacBook Pro.
- Answered by Brian E from Concord
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I don't think Thunderbolt 2 which is what LG 34UC98 is using does any power out much less 87W which is what MacBook Pro 2016 needs. Even the newer LG 38 Inch monitor with USB-C support does not output 87W and cannot charge MacBook Pro 2016.
- Answered by Bahram S from Los Angeles
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- 10 31, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Is the mic located in the volume controller like normal?
- Asked by Nathaniel W from Phoenix
- 09 9, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the mic located in the volume controller like normal?)
- Asked about: EarPods with Lightning Connector
Does the adaptor passthrough the 87w required to properly charge the 15" Macbook Pro (Late 2016)
- Asked by Martin A from Preston
- 11 7, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the adaptor passthrough the 87w required to properly charge the 15" Macbook Pro (Late 2016))
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter