Can this adapter connect the new LG 5k ultrafine diplay to a Mac Pro 2013 ? Thx.
2 Answers from the Community
Yes, but only at 4K, according to the document HT207448 "Use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with your Mac" on Apple's support website.
This is because 5K @ 60 Hz requires more than the 20 Gbps of Thunderbolt 2.
To get 5K, you could use an externally powered GC-ALPINE RIDGE card, using a PCIe slot adapter (riser) and power supply. The IT-GO "ADP-099-31" works well, and includes an enclosure. You may need to buy a separate power supply. With some other PCIe risers, DisplayPort conversion might not start unless the riser is connected to a computer's PCIe slot (PCIe, mPCIe, ExpressCard, NVME, etc). Even with a connection to a PCIe slot, the card will not transmit PCIe data which is needed for the other features of the display (USB controller for USB ports, audio, camera, brightness controls, etc.). Brightness control may be achieved through DDC/CI though with an app or command line.
Nvidia drivers in macOS do not well support MST displays. There is a boot variable that needs to be set. The workarounds for the Dell 5K display (reconnecting cables or cycling power) may not work with the LG 5K display. There is an issue with the cursor often being different between the left and right side of the screen. But your Mac Pro 2013 has AMD graphics so it won't have those problems.
The price of the PCIe card, PCIe riser, power supply, and loss of features may not be worth the trouble.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
- Answered by Adam M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?
- Asked by Dairien B from Chula Vista
- 11 19, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
can i use this cable to connect my MacBook pro with LG 5k Display?
- Asked by Tanvir Y from Abu Dhabi
- 04 17, 18
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use this cable to connect my MacBook pro with LG 5k Display?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)
will this work for the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display?
- Asked by Vincent S from Austin
- 07 23, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (will this work for the new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…