I'm looking to get a Samsung Portable T5 2TB USB 3.1 SSD and have an iMac with tb2 ports would this adapter work?
1 Answer from the Community
The Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is for Thunderbolt devices only.
The Samsung Portable T5 2TB USB 3.1 SSD is a USB device. It comes with a USB-C to USB-A connector so you can connect it to one of the iMac's USB ports.
The iMac's USB ports are USB 3.0 allowing up to 5 Gb/s which might get you up to 430 MB/s from the T5.
To add USB 3.1 gen 2 (up to 10 Gb/s) to the iMac, you could use a Thunderbolt 3 dock attached to the iMac using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. You would connect the T5 to the second Thunderbolt 3 port of the Thunderbolt 3 dock which could allow you to get up to 540 MB/s from the T5.
A Thunderbolt 3 dock to get one USB 3.1 gen 2 port is not worth the expense.
Another option is a Thunderbolt 2 PCIe enclosure (or Thunderbolt 3 PCIe enclosure plus Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter) with a USB 3.1 gen 2 PCIe card which would get you at least two USB 3.1 gen 2 ports. But that is still expensive.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Could this adapter work into an aux in a stereo?
- Asked by Krissia B from Guelph
- 04 20, 17
- Flag as inappropriate (Could this adapter work into an aux in a stereo?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
If I get a 3TB TC will it work flawlessly together with my 2TB TC that is full? ie itunes feeding from both sources, 5TB available to my system?
- Asked by Dave K from Whitecourt
- 06 17, 13
- Flag as inappropriate (If I get a 3TB TC will it work flawlessly together with my 2TB TC that is full? ie itunes feeding from both sources, 5TB available to my system?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB