Is it possible with this adapter to connect my existing Thunderbolt Monitor (via Thunderbolt 2) with the new MacBook Pro or the new MacBook via USB C?
5 Answers from the Community
Only the new MacBook Pro. 12" MacBook isn't compatible since it doesn't have Thunderbolt.
- Answered by Jens T
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
it will work with the macbook pro, but not with the macbook
- Answered by Eduardo M from Torreon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I have the exact same question. Hope for an answer quick.
But i think the answer are: yes for new macbook pro, but NO for they Macbook via USB-c. (because it its 1st generation USB-C)
Supplementing connectivity of older devices to Apple's new MacBook Pro family, the company has also released a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, allowing users with older Thunderbolt peripherals to connect them to the newer connection standard.
The product connects older 10 Gbit/sec dual-channel original Thunderbolt or 20 Gbit speed Thunderbolt 2 peripherals to the Thunderbolt 3 port with the USB-C connector as found on the new MacBook Pro. However, it will not allow Thunderbolt peripherals to be connected to USB 3.1 Generation 1 connectors, as found on the 2015 and 2015 MacBook.
- Answered by Michael C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Yes, for #1. No for #2 because MacBook has no Thunderbolt controller behind USB-C.
- Answered by Jesse S from Alpharetta
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
This adapter is not compatible with the non-pro new MacBook at all. Source: apple support document HT207266 "About the compatibility of the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter".
For the MacBook Pro, it will let you use your Thunderbolt monitor, along with audio/USB ports/ethernet/camera, however you will not be able to directly charge your MacBook Pro using the MagSafe connector attached to your Thunderbolt display. This adapter will let you use everything on the display except for charging your laptop, then you will need a separate USB-C cable and power supply to charge the computer, like the one that comes with it.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 5
Can this VGA adapter connect my new macbook pro to a projector via thunderbolt?
- Asked by Lidan W from Los Angeles
- 03 27, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this VGA adapter connect my new macbook pro to a projector via thunderbolt?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
Will this adapter connect directly to the new MacBook Pro 2016 USB-c/thunderbolt ports?
- Asked by Robin N from Jacksonville
- 11 3, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter connect directly to the new MacBook Pro 2016 USB-c/thunderbolt ports?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…