Is there a way to connect an external TB2 disk to a new MacBook? When using this connector a warning: this MacBook doesn't support TB2 devices appears
I have several several TB2 external disks with USB-3 option that at least can connect; BUT I have a 12 TB TB2-only connectivity that I cannot connect. Do I have an option with my new MacBook to connect to the 12TB TB2.
Can a new MacBook "PRO" connect to a TB2 device? What about an iMac?
- Asked by Alejandro G from South Padre Island
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to connect an external TB2 disk to a new MacBook? When using this connector a warning: this MacBook doesn't support TB2 devices appears)
1 Answer from the Community
The MacBook has USB-C ports that only support USB, DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4 (using passive adapters). Active adapters can convert DisplayPort to VGA, Dual Link DVI, and HDMI 2.0.
USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 devices may include a billboard USB device or USB Power Delivery (PD) information that can tell the computer what kind of device it is. This way, your MacBook can tell that the device is Thunderbolt 2 and give you that information that it won't work.
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter will work to connect Thunderbolt 2 devices/computers to Thunderbolt 3 devices/computers which includes the MacBook Pro, iMac, and your TB2 disks.
There is no way to connect a Thunderbolt device to a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt.
There is no way to add Thunderbolt to a computer (unless it's a PC with Thunderbolt add-in card support).
What you can do is transfer the hard disk inside the TB2 disk to an enclosure that uses USB.
Or you can connect the TB2 disk to a computer with Thunderbolt, enable file sharing on that computer, and connect to that computer from your MacBook.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Paul J from Boulder
- 10 31, 16
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Can it support a USB splitter?
- Asked by Richard H
- 03 29, 15
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it support a USB splitter?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
No answers yet
Must I have this connector to connect the new nano to my macbook pro?
- Asked by Diane T from Beverly
- 09 22, 12
- Flag as inappropriate (Must I have this connector to connect the new nano to my macbook pro?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Cable (1 m)